Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Before and after MAACO

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K5guy, Dec 29, 2006.

1. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Before and after MAACO painted the 89.Not bad for $700(my good friend Jesse's bodywork;$275)and Maaco($425).Chevrolet charcoal metallic polyurethane with a few coats of clear.The Maaco close to me uses a Dupont
    paint system now.I posted a few months ago that I was going to have Maaco
    paint this thing and boy did I catch some flack:mad: Anyway the pics speak for themselves.They did a great job on the paint;the metallic flowed perfectly all over: no runs,no drips,no errors!Who's laughing now? ME of course because of all the money I saved:haha:

HPIM0063.JPG

IMG_0029.jpg

2. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks nice in that photo. Nothing like having the vehicle all one color! Maaco, like all other body shops, is either good or bad because of the people working there, not the price.

3. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

STILL LAUGHING with all that money I saved:eek1:

4. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Looks decent. I'm sure the prep work helped the outcome. Great job.

5. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Most of the negative post's I've read about Maaco, both here and elsewhere, complained about the quality of the bodywork, not the paint. Looks like you found your way around that. Looks really good. Like that color.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The issue I've heard most about is durability...

Came out good tho... :D

7. misterfnygy

misterfnygy 1/2 ton status

I heard...

Someone told me once that MAACO guys have sprayed more paint than most body guys. It makes sense- if you do the body work and let them spray it I think you will end up okay. Just make sure they use quality paint and the body is sound

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just had my K30 done by Maaco, and plan on showing the pics tommorrow.

I am also pleased with the job they did, at $1500. I needed very little body work, and what they corrected looks fine with black over it.

Maaco is a so-so body shop, and a good paint shop. The Dupont that they used is probably a Nason urethane. Thats the paint I used, I've heard it's decent stuff. You and I will find out as the years roll by.

9. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

remember, you aren't supposed to wax for a month. BEcause the paint still needs time to set. ;)

Looks good :waytogo:

EDIT: How much did they dissasemble to do the paint? Just mirrors and doors handles or the entire front clip?

10. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Wow man, that looks good, I like the color.

11. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

DITTO TO THAT (ONE COLOR):bow: !!

12. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

how it looks in person and in a pic might be different, but as far as the pic goes, I think it looks great! I will probably have mine done at Macco or something of the sort just because I will be thrashing mine anyways so a real good job is not necessary for what I want to use it for.

13. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

To go into more detail of the prep before we took it over to Maaco,I took off all the lights(tail lights,marker lights),both bumpers,the hard top,mirrors and the wiper blades.I have a rust free tailgate to replace the dented one that got prepped and painted on the blazer.I didn't get this tailgate till after all the body work and paint were done.My good friend Jesse is prepping the new tailgate as I type and then we will install it, then over to Maaco we will go.
    I m also going to finish up the door jams and have them painted the same time as the tailgate.
    The paint looks as good in person as it does in the photo:D I don't know alot about painting but those guys can spray/shoot really good.As I said before the metallic charcoal had no modelling anywhere.It looks great to me and since having it painted,I have had numerous compliments and offers to buy my baby.It is funny to see the reactions when asked where I had it painted after a compliment:eek1: .Anyway next projects are 4 inch spring lift,spray lining the entire floor front to back,engine and trans rebuild,and then front and rear ring and pinions replacement(going to 4.10s or 4.56s)
    Thanks for the compliments guys:bow: .I will post more pics as it comes along.

14. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

Looks Good. Hope It Lasts Longer Than My My Maaco Paint Job.