Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Before fire pics of my 85.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Dec 27, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

How cool was this? A total of 7" susp lift and a 3" body lift. Almost makes the 38's look like 31's! I finally had this sucker pieced together good enough I could take it our for a maiden voyage! Well after a trip around the block, ahhh the sound of swampers howling around corners with a detroit, I pulled up in the yard and snapped this pic...then as I pulled out of the yard I noticed a cloud of white smoke and the awful smell of ATF. The tranny had puked half of its contents out the dipstick tube and all over the header. Then I notice a beautiful orange flicker through the tcase lever hole and it was an inferno. I grabbed the halon extinguisher and got it out before it did any irreplaceable damage. Back to the drawing board. The nice UPS man delivered my new tranny parts today so we will see what happens now!

Interesting note...I tore the "rebuilt" tranny I got off ebay apart and it was missing 3 of the 4 check balls in the valve body!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Wonder if that had anything to do with the problem?? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Now the dudes email address is gone!!!

[​IMG]

This is whats left to fix. Not too bad really. The oil pan gasket is ok, just some wires to replace and the oil sending unit....cleans up pretty nice huh?
    [​IMG]

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Damn, Brent! That 10" does make the 38's look like 31's!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I was planning to do that amount of lift to a future K30 and the same size tires, too, but after seeing that picture, thats too much lift for that tire size. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I was gonna do 6" front and rear springs, all 4 springs sitting on 1" zero-rates, and a 3" body lift.

What do you have for the 7" suspension lift...6" springs and zero-rates?

If this is the case of the truck being too tall, I may as well just get the 1" ORD body lift along with the 6" and zero-rates for 8" total. Think the 38's would look better with 8" instead?

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

That thing looks mean! Just the kind of menacing look I'd want on city streets... but how do you find it in the dark? Sad news on the fire and the tranny, but it looks like you've got it squared away!

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am just going to take the body lift off and go straight susp lift. I have to cut some rust off the rear fenders so the 38's will clear with no problem. Everyone locally is getting on my case about it being too top heavy.

I think I am going to paint it olive drab. Maybe put some teeth on the front like the old A10 Warthogs!

As for the suspension I have 2" Tuff country springs in the back with the echobit shackle flip and echobit custom shackles. The front is 6" TC springs then the 1" taller perches on the D60. The tranny guy said he is booked till monday...hope the nice weather holds out 1 more week!!

5. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

what kinda of seats are those?

6. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Nice rig!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Looks like your buildin it to wheel.Only thing about that much lift is might be a little hairy in off camber situations. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    What are some of the specs?

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The seats are out of an 86 Toyota MR2.
    [​IMG]

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Bummer on the fire hope it didnt hurt too much in there.

Wes take a look at my pics of PI. Some pics are of 6 and 3 w/ 38s. The newer pics are 6 and 3 w/ a 2in traction lift for 11 inches. This way you can see the same rig w/ the 2 different heights. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Or you could leave the lift and go 44's /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Glad you caught it in time.

10. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I guess on the bright side, with that much lift, you won't need to jack up the truck to remover the tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

What valve body did you go with?

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I dont have to jack the truck up at all to do the tranny swap...it takes about 10 minutes to bolt the tranny/tcase up to the engine. I must say I LOVE a body lift when doing the tranny swap.

As for the 44's, I thought about it but I am only running 4.88's and the NP205 so it would not have much crawl to it.