Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Before I get too deep, I need to know

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big94gmc, Nov 28, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Look at this:

[​IMG]

This is a CUCV frame I just stripped, so I can frame swap from the twisted frame. Everything is on a 1/2 / 3/4 ton frame ('73 K20), going onto a 1 ton frame. This question is about the crossmember that the red arrow points to.... Since this was a 6.2, will I have any interference issues with that when I put in a smallblock? Second question if for the motor mounts....these will work with a 350, right? Also, it's probably a good idea to put in new mounts (at the very least, the rubber). Where can I get (inexpensive) new motor mounts (or rubber)???

Same question/concern for the tranny crossmember.... The rubber mounts that go between the crossmember and the 'case - where can I get those, good and cheap??

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the mounts will work and the crossmember should work. although this is a perfect time to build a new crossmember for crossover. you can get the rubber at napa, autozone etc. ord makes some really nice mounts (but there 150 bucks)

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

When I go to Napa to get the rubber parts, what exactly do I say? What specifically is the "rubber part of the motor mount and crossmembers"?? I don't want to sound like a unknowing....uh, person.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i need motor mount bushings. thats all, they should know what your talking about and if they dont then there alot worse off then you :D If they dont get that then explain the piece of rubber that the motor mount bolt goes through :D

5. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

That's what I thought.... 'Bushings' was the word I was checking on. So, same goes for the tranny crossmember rubber (or, bushings)?

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

yah there just rubber bushings. if they dont understand it then you can explain it. if all else fails, just make them feel like the morons :D "what, how the hell can you not understand what im explaining to you? : " :D im lucky, the guys at napa in my area are real knowledgable

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

A'ight, that settles that issue.... But what about that engine crossmember I pointed to? Since the one ton had a 6.2, will I have any troubles or issues putting in the 350?

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

you shouldnt... i havent heard of anyone having issues when swapping over. you have your old frame right? compare the 2. do you run crossover or full hydro. i know your rig is pretty built so i ask beacuase if you run crossover a new crossmember may be in order anyways.

9. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I run hydro assist, switching to full hydro (only because the front axle will be so far forward on the new rig that steering linkage won't be possible). That reminds me, those assist parts will be up for sale soon.....like, maybe, starting now.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

if your running full hydro then it should be fine, no draglink to hit. That crossmemebr will work. Your gonna have to keep up on pics, it was awsome before i cant wait to see it this go around. O and better straps are in order. :doah: :eek1: i still cant believe it. that sucked man

11. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Frame swap starts next weekend.... I just need to be completely prepared, because the plan is to have the frame swap/complete rolling chassis finished before Christmas..... :fingers crossed:

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

good luck man, if i didnt live a thousand miles away id lend a hand :D You should have your bases pretty well covered. and if not im sure most of the parts from your truck are reusable. I know it suck to put on worn bushings only to have to go back and replace them when its that much harder, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.