Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Begin winch relocation and new CUCV shackles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Aug 5, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I started my winch relocation today and removed my cow catcher bumper infavor of some CUCV shackle mounts:D . I did not get much done as I have a party to go to but so far the winch is relocated........

To the garage:D . I have front and rear bumpers pulled as well as my hitch in the rear. The front hangers bolted right up but the rear will need some modification as the frames are dif between CUCV pickups and K5s:doah: .

Now for some pics.
    This is the new location of the winch:D
    garagefloor.JPG

Before
    [​IMG]

Brackets3.JPG

Brackets2.JPG

Brackets1.JPG

When it is all done the winch will be between the frame rails and I will incorporate a fairlead mount into the mounts for the shackle hangers. I did not realize how much that old bumper got in the way:doah: .

Ira

Brackets1.JPG

Brackets2.JPG

Brackets3.JPG

garagefloor.JPG

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You'll love the winch relocation. It is one of the best mods I have done :waytogo:

3. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

For sure. Mine isn't between the frame rails, but I cut out a bunch of the front end and put it way back in there on top of the frame and made a cradel out of 1/4 steel. Works great, didn't affect approach angel at all. Like it there a lot.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

How did you work the clutch lever? Do you just power out the line and not free wheel it or did you rig up a new lever? Also any pics you could show me of how you mounted it would be great.

Thanks

Ira

5. 1977k5

I still have use of the clutch lever. I cut the grill pretty significantly to fit the winch in there. I made sure to relocate and keep the Chevy badge though, wouldn't be much of a truck without that! :haha:

As far as relocating the winch, I had a few ideas. Initially the winch plate bolted under the frame and stuck out big time. I bashed that thing all over the place. My first thought was to bolt the winch plate on top of the frame but decided against it because I thought there would be too much leverage on the frame the the bolts that would hold it on. My compromise was to cut a slot in the frame and slide the winch mounts through the slots and then drill new holes for the bolts. I then decided to weld it all up to give it some more strength but left some bolts in there just in case (the winch can still be removed if need be).

I ended up moving the winch back about 6" and up about 4" IIRC. It is moved back about as far as it can be without moving the radiator (there is only ~1/2" clearance between the winch and the radiator). The only problem I see with the way I did this is the potential for the frame to crack where I slotted it, but that may not be an issue. I did this swap about a year ago and it has been wheeled pretty hard during that time with no issues.

The first pic is the old winch mount and bumper. The last 3 are how it is now (looks like it could use a little rattle can touch). I don't plan on adding anything as far as a bumper because I will taper the front this winter.

CIMG0033.JPG

winch 001.jpg

winch 002.jpg

winch 003.jpg

6. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Yep...Just like mine. Mine is maybe 2.5 inches higher, but I have a 9000i so our lines prob come out at the same level. I didn't slot the frame or anything cool, just 6 1/2 in grade eights hold the cradel on the frame and 4 grade 8s hold the winch in the cradel. Surly the cable will bust before all those bolts. Not that that is desierable. I ALWAYS put a weight on the line when I winch. Safty first, right?

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

How well does that 8274 work on the K5? Any problems with it being too light for the truck? Just finished putting one together and I've been thinking about putting it on mine.

8. 1977k5

It's a freakin' hoss! It's widely considered the best winch ever made and underrated at 8000 lbs. Trust me, you won't regret putting one on a K5!

9. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

chris thats a badass setup anymore pics???

10. 1977k5

I don't have any more pictures from when I moved it but the winch is still in the same place. What do you want pictures of?

11. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just everything...just getting ideas..