Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Being too nice to people.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Feb 21, 2006.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Rather than make a post, I thought I'd share it with you.

I sold my father in law's car on ebay for $749. The guy calls me sunday night saying he'll take the first flight out to California in the morning, which arrives here at 9:45. I agree to go pick him up (15 minutes away with no traffic, about an hour with). Anyway he calls me at 8:10 am, about 20 minutes before I decide to leave. At this point I already got up early, showered, shaved, and made my self presentable.... He says theres a real bad snow storm and that he couldnt make that flight. But he would call me when he arrived. I told him that I had a class from 5:30 till about 10.
    He never called, so 11 oclock comes around, and anyother day I'd be asleep, but tonight I was awake. He calls me at 11pm! So I agree to go get him rather than make him take a taxi to a hotel. So I leave and get there ASAP, very quickly since there was no traffic. I wait in the bumper to bumper airport traffic for about 15 minutes going about 1mph through the passanger loading area. He wasn't at gate B like he said he would be... I call his phone about 5 times, no answer....
    So I leave the airport and make a U turn and come back in to look for him again..This time traffic is light. No where near terminal A or B did I see him..... I'm getting a bit :mad: and thinking I should just leave him.... Again, I leave and make a u-turn and go back by. This time I pull over, and illegaly park, I get out and jog around looking for him. Cant find him anywhere! I'm really :mad::mad: now. Its about 11:40 now. I have called him about 20 times now, no answer, but I did leave a message or 2.
    I finally get ahold of him, He says he is there and he doesn't see my car anywhere. Now were thinking were at 2 different air ports :doah:. I leave and take one freeway to a 2nd freeway calling information on my phone trying to locate this other airport......... Heres the kicker... He calls me to say that he found out he's on the top level..... WTF?!? I did not know their was a top level. So I head BACK to the airport, have him come down to me, and pick him up.
    I take him back to my house after midnight. He looks at the car, gives me the $750, and I give him the key. We agree to meet the next day so my father in law can sign the papers.
    I get to bed around 12:45, asleep around 1 maybe. The next day he buys a few tools from harbor freight, and uses all my tools, jacks, grinders ETC... to fix the car so its driveable to a shop around here. When he was done with the whole thing, he was grateful, but I felt he could have at least offered me a few more dollars for gas, time, tools etc! Oh well... If I had really wanted it I guess I could have asked. :mad:

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

its good to be a nice guy there are to few people like that left in this world, the only problem is people then take advantage of you

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You did a good thing, be glad of it and give yourself a pat on the back. It will come back to you eventually.

Karma baby.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

when i found out he was on the top level i woulda saidf theres almost no way i can get ther, take a cab.;) your a good guy though branndon and it sucks people take advantage of you but thats just the way some people are. hell at least he sounds like a space case, not so much a asshat

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

yeah, thats the situation really, he was a little of a space case, so I cut him a little slack. thanks for the kind words guys.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If you've ever made a long trip at the last minute under pressure then you know you'll arrive with your head UYA.

I picked up a car in Alabama after a 2 day drive, little sleep, and cheap motels. When I got there I couldn't think straight and looked like an idiot.

I can't tell you how glad I was that the guy and his wife treated me so well, making breakfast, making lunch, and letting me borrow his compressor and tools because I came unprepared. I was so overextended on cash I couldn't offer more than my appreciation and he may have felt the way you do after I left. However if he knew how much it meant to me I think he'd feel very good about himself for what he did. You should too.

You never forget those people even if you can't return the hospitality at the time.

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, we appreciate you anyway!!!! :waytogo:

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Kindness extended to strangers is something that has diminiished in the last 20 years. Granted, he aggravated the hell out of you,BUT you treated him as you hope others treat you. "The Golden Rule".

9. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Glad to hear that someone out there is still nice. Heck, I appreciate it.:D and can only hope if I fly to CA to buy a car I get treated the same way.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That musta been a heckuva car for all that hassle it sounds like on his part, too.

:waytogo: being a nice guy, bro.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

your a good honest guy
    you do what makes you feel good, youll do whats right

12. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Sometimes it's a huge pain to do what's right or what's nice... and it seems like it's not worth the trouble at the time. But overall, feel good about what you did helping out someone and being patient with them. Being's that you did shows the true person you are.

13. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thansk everyone, you all made me :) lol I wasn't looking for praises, more of just venting! But i appreciate all the good words :)

15. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Fine, ur an a$$hole and we hate you

:D

16. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

that's better

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ive been taken avantage of by "freinds and family" all my life, because im trusting and giving,and it never fails , i always get burnt somehow.Its the feeling they have inside about themselves after its been done that they have to deal with. Its ok to be a good person,we need more of them otherwise the world will end with destruction.

Jacob:)

18. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

I love when the buyer makes up some huge story and i feel bad for em and wants the car for like 50 bucks cheaper or even 25, claming thats all the money he has on him, and then hands me all 100 new crisp bills, and wanting his change back.....

19. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

You did good and it will come back to you 10 fold when you lest expect it . I've gone to great lenghts to help others out buy giving my labor for free and even buying parts for those in need . I've dropped every thing I was doing and drove out to help freinds and family work on their stuff or do carpentry repair's ( my job ) for nothing . I also don't make money off my buddies for parts . If I got it for free they get it for free and what ever a part cost me they get it for that price . I'm blessed with alot of stuff that comes my way and I will continue to be a giving person . the world need's more people like us :D

20. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That was some deep shiat...................I need a mighty plunger to clean that one out of my brain. :haha: