Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Being watched at work.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by POWERMAD, Oct 9, 2004.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

A couple of weeks ago it came down that we could no longer use the computers at work for personal use, they are monitering every station and a person can be terminated for it. Had to sign a a paper for it.
    No big deal I only have a few moments a day that I can get on the net at work anyway.
    Now the cameras are going up.
    That I am not thrilled about.
    This is no bar that gets the till swiped, this is a 28 bay shop.
    If it was a theft deterent then I would feel different, but monitering us all day???
    Not that I have anything to worry about I do my job and don't screw around, but so does everyone else.
    I dunno maybe I'm getting bent out of shape over nothing.
    Anyone else get watched at work?

2. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Welcome the the 21st century. I work for a huge HMO, they monitor every keystroke. Companies are tired of paying someone for nothing, and the amount of goofing off amazing..it is not what they pay people for. A friend of mine, useing said software determined the new receptionist didnt use the computer for over a week...and the laws here in commufornia made him prove in a court of law that she was a lazy POS. (mind you using a computer is a big part of why they hired her in the first place!) The HMO i work for also logs all calls, so if it ever becomes an issue that so-and so is making a ton of personal calls they have the record of calls recieved and sent from that line. If you have a job, be thankful, but deal with your personal crap on your time. I guess the companies are wiseing up to the lost man hours lost to the computer and personal calls (believe me, it adds up!)

3. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Here a couple of interesting sites! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think you have a right to be pissed....but I'd rather have cameras and people that work than a labor union and a bunch of lazy fawksticks.

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I seen the Data and Voice policy coming down long ago.
    For our part as deisel techs we had access to a puter in the break room, but the administrative part has the most access to them.
    The laptops and software needed to work on these rigs is provided by Volvo/Mack and are already set up to not access any other site.
    But yep it was the people sittin in front of a puter all day that pretty much screwed it for the rest.
    That I can see monitering.

6. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

seriously though...before they got the computers all set up when we moved to the new building (all new everything) there was a ton of no work goin on...and of course I got talked to for looking at the news BEFORE the work day statrted (right after the war started) when there was 100 other people doin the same thing-only they did it all day long. (the boss just wanted me, like I'd give her a chance!!!) But there are several computers that aren't monitored, and they are used daily for non-work stuff...it all boils down to $$ boys, lost time is lost money.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was part of "security" at my last job, as the camera's were put up. There was actually an internal disagreement about how extensive monitoring should be...ended up that there were no cameras in the employee work areas, only in the common hallways, lobbys, break rooms, etc.

I can't tell you the number of times I wished I had cameras on the employee work areas. I could have cared less about people working hard, that is/was a supervisor and managers job, (and they slack off as much or more than the employees, since it is obvious when they don't work in many situations, but not the Supervisors) but there were so many times I could have busted people for stealing from employees. It was really frustrating knowing that someone that was on camera in the elevator lobby, was walking out with someones property concealed on them. Nothing made me feel worse in that job knowing I couldn't do anything for the victim, even though it was always "petty" stuff, like a book, or a few dollars.

I know it isn't a COMMON occurence, but at one of the facilities operated by the same company I worked for, a man was "acquitted" of a sexual harassment charge when the cameras proved the woman was the "agressor" and not the victim as she claimed.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You should try working for an investment company. EVERYTHING that we do on a computer or say on a telephone is monitored and/or recorded. We don't have cameras (yet), but the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the National Association of Securities Dealers have some VERY stringent rules. They even REQUIRE that a manager monitor and READ all emails sent via the company email systems. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Every conversation with a client is documented and every order placed is documented, including whether the customer called and asked for us to buy a stock, bond, or fund for them, or if we called them and recommended something. The documentation has to be kept on file for years so that if a client tries to sue if the value of their securities decreases we have written confirmation of what was discussed, etc. Phone calls are also recorded and time stamped so that they can be used to determine what conversations really took place. When you deal with peoples life savings, the stakes are very high... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Well the way I see it it is it is a fairly large company and they want to pull the plug on the net that's fine by me I have little time for it and it affects me none.
    The cameras... They pay me well and I always have over 100% efficiency, don't drink on the job or snort rails off my toolbox so that don't realy bother me either.
    What are they gonna see me doing?? Workin, maybe pick my nose when no one is lookin.
    The cameras that were set up and running are shut off untill we all sign the lil paper saying we know they're watchin.
    Then when the cameras are up and rollin I am gettin that Super Size dong I seen at the sex store and strap it down under my coveralls and walk over and look around to see if anyone is lookin, flop that bad boy out and scratch it like it itches, put it away and stroll off like nothin happened.
    I suppose one would know if they realy watched what ya are doing if that happened. LOL

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I just got a job at JC Whitney and it's the same crap......every call recorded.

I'm going to have to try to be good to people on the phone. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Then when the cameras are up and rollin I am gettin that Super Size dong I seen at the sex store and strap it down under my coveralls and walk over and look around to see if anyone is lookin, flop that bad boy out and scratch it like it itches, put it away and stroll off like nothin happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to try to be good to people on the phone. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

really? im gonna have to call you up and harrase you /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif j/k i may need some parts though, do you know what your extention is gonna be?

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? im gonna have to call you up and harrase you /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif j/k i may need some parts though, do you know what your extention is gonna be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, just ask for Tim in product information.

I start monday but I won't be taking calls for two weeks.

I'll get you my extension when I get it.