Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bell Housing swapability

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crookedunit, Dec 19, 2003.

1. crookedunit

crookedunit Registered Member

I've had a mated 465/205 sitting in my garage for few years now and it's finally time to get them into the K5. I'm contemplating dropping in a 454 since I have the body off but will the bellhousing I have work with the big block? The 465/205 came out of a 79 1/2 ton with a 350 and I'd like to get them into my 73 K5, along with a big block.

Thanks in advance

2. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

Bell Housings are the same on all chevy v8s the flywheel will have to come off a 454 or 400 as these engines are externally balanced.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if you hunt around you can find a good heavy cast iron one from a 72-older truck, and the 168 tooth wheel starter too, the iron housings were open bottom half style so that you cvan get to clutch and all that without having to pull engine, had a two piece tin dust shield setup, i have a few of the setups around and starters and a fork too, etc.

good luck

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if you hunt around you can find a good heavy cast iron one from a 72-older truck, and the 168 tooth wheel starter too, the iron housings were open bottom half style so that you cvan get to clutch and all that without having to pull engine, had a two piece tin dust shield setup, i have a few of the setups around and starters and a fork too, etc.

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Small coment here:

How can you remove the clutch without removing the tranny or the engine?
    I have the cast iron open bottom and you have to pull out either one just as you would with the aluminum bellhousing
    The only difference is you can remove the tranny off the belhousing and drop the clutch without removing the bellhousing off the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And for the previous post:

454, and 402/396 would be the big blocks, 400 would be a small block.
    Although I seem to remember that the 396/402 was not externally balanced? Am I correct? Is that why you mentionned the 454 and the 400? i think I recall the 400sbc is also externally balanced.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

400 ci is a small block it is externally balanced same as 454 big block. 396 and 402 are big blocks and internally balanced. They all still share the same bell. 250 and 292 straight sixes and 4.3 v-6s as well. The 402 is a 396 bored 30 thousands I believe Chevy did this in 71 or 72. I agree with you on that you can't pull the clutch with out pulling the tranny first. The best you can hope for is sliding it back far enough to clear the shaft.