Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bellhousing info on mid 40s-early 50s 270ci i6

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thedrip, Jul 14, 2006.

1. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Trying to find out (for an old roommate) if this happens to have a common bellhousing pattern. Interchange with v8 is what I'm hoping to hear.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When the v8 bellhousing appeared on the 55 Chevy , the stovebolt sixes didn't get it until the new style six appeared in the early 60's .

About what you can swap that into is any straight six Chevy car or truck from the 30's - 50's .

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engine_swap_216.htm

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yep -stovebolts are different...

The "old" sixes like the 216,235,261,270,and 302 are different than the "usual" 55 and up Chevy bellhousings --they stayed the same until the demise of the 235, in late 1962.....I do believe adapters are available however,to allow them to bolt up...try googling "stovebolt six" ,there is a website dedicated to the old sixes ...also www.castleman.com has a bunch of adapters to bolt just about any engine/tranny combo together,much more than Advance Adapters has..google "Engine Adapters" if my link doesn't work..:crazy: