Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bellhousing to Engine bolts.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by petryshyn, Aug 25, 2005.

1. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

What grade are you suspose to run in between the bellhousing and the engine, just standard stock or anything more.

Also i am going to be running grade 8 fine thread 7/16 bolts for the crossmember is a 1 1/2" long enough or just a inch?

Thanks.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

they are just grade 5 from factory, that is plenty, i just chuck in whatever bolts i can scratch up in stash piles, intake bolts, whatever, they all work fine

hell i only have four instaled on the 71

good luck

3. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

hell i only have four instaled on the 71

I replaced my old 700r4 with a new one from B&M and couldn't get the last bolt in so I am running with 4 also! :haha:

I've been stressing about it. That was the first time I had ever done a big job like that myself and I didn't have anyone to help me out with it.

Right after I installed it I had a U-joint fall apart on the highway after I smacked it backing up and I thought my entire transmission fell out on the highway when I heard that drive line smacking around under there.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As another point, make sure they are long enough. Short bolts will work themselves out when a longer bolt won't.

(this is in regards to bellhousing)

For the crossmember, you might want to get bolts long enough that you can use two nuts on them, just in case like mine, they want to work themselves loose over time.

5. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

AAHHHHAAAAAA so im not going crazy?! mine keep coming loose. i lok-tite and torqued them last time just so i know im not going crazy :crazy:

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

lol yeah, although on the 71 it is all iron though

id maybe worry a little with just 4 on the 700, but im sure it would be fine, hehe unless you really drive hard or something crazy

good luck petry

7. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replys. As for the crossmember long enough for two is a good tip thanks.