Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bellhousings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scrubby, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

Are sm465 bellhousings for 6 cylinder engines the same as small block bellhousings? I believe the 4wd and 2wd bellhousings are different, but I am not sure about the ones for different engines.

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

What years are you talking about ???
    The SBC and the six cylinders share the same bolt pattern and yes they use the same bell housing. There are differences in bell housings but it is by application and years not engines between the in-line six's and the V-8's.
    Tom

3. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

I'm talking 72 and 75. I have a 75 bellhousing from an inline 6 that I would like to use on my 72 smallblock. Sounds like it should work just fine?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cast iron vs aluminum..

The 72 might have a cast iron bellhousing--they had provisions for side mounts on them like the 55-57 chevy's used,but they were not utilized in the K trucks..(they had the transfer case "foot" for a mount)..the aluminum one will bolt on and work the same-(some 3 speed ones have a smaller center hole,wont fit a SM465)-some had an open bottom,others you had to pull the bellhousing to do the clutch(a "full" bellhousing)..I prefer a cast iron one for strength,and ease of clutch replacement..but I havent broken any aluminum ones either... :crazy:

5. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I also have a cast bellhousing from a 69 2wd. It was bolted to a sm420 and has the mounts on the sides like diesel4me is talking about. Can/should I use that on my 72 blazer? Is it a better bellhousing than the '75 I have?

6. badger red

badger red 1/2 ton status

If memory serves me correctly, the cast iron bellhousing uses two plain and two threaded holes to hold the tranny. Aluminum bellhousing uses four threaded holes. '72 and earlier SM465s and SM420s had two threaded and two plain holes on the front face to match the cast iron bellhousing. SO if you use a cast iron housing and a later 465 with 4 plain holes on the fwd face, two holes will need a bolt and a nut at the least, I think.

Jeff

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

69 or 70 the holes are all large diameter for the input of the tranny, 72 and older are iron, all of them, 4 and 3 speed both, and thery all had two mounting pads and a crossmember directly under them this was technicaly called the rear engine crossmember and mounts per GM exact wording

they do not have a place for screw in ballstud however, as the 72 older trucks used a Z bar bracket that bolted to engine block with two large bolts threaded right into engine block,

the 6 cyl used a single stud threaded right into the block however, just like the real old cars did

the iron housings used a three bolt starter nose in which was also cast iron

it is unique one of a kind 72 older trucks and are all for large flywheel 168 tooth

5505 is the last four numbers of the casting number on trhe bellhousing if its the large hole one that you will need in order to bolt a 69 or 70 and later tranny to, they still real common in most regions, but getting fewer and fewer

good luck