Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Belt driven vacuum pump for 6,5 diesel?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BelAir, Feb 4, 2003.

1. BelAir

BelAir Registered Member

Sorry to post again, but need to be out early on this one, if I get my 6,2 started. I am not sure if the distributor style vacuum pump will be enough to power my vacuumassisted brakes in my 59 Biscayne. The vacuum tank on the master sylinder is small, to allow space for the big engine in the engine bay. Now, I understand from the Hayes manual that all ther 6.5 diesels had belt driven, stand-alone, vacuum pumps, much like power steering pumps? Do these give more vacuum than the distributor style ones? Where do they monunt on the engine (I am hoping over the PS-pump, where my AC-pump was(dont ned AC in Norway...)) And finally, where to get one, and what do they cost?

regards Joe

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You can add a small reservoir tank to your vacuum setup. That will give you some reserve at least.

The belt-drive pump off the newer diesels use a serpentine drive - a single belt with a tensioner that drives all the accessories. You may have to change a few more things than just adding the vacuum pump /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The belt-driven pump off the 6.5L does use a serpentine belt system, as was mentioned. However, some 6.2L powered vans used a v-belt vacuum pump, and I know of a '91 Blazer with a 6.2L and v-belt vacuum pump, but I don't how common this is or if those pumps are better than the gear-driven style.

I'm still using the gear-driven pump for my vacuum brakes in my '81 conversion. It does okay, especially after I added a 1 gallon air tank to act as a vacuum reservoir. I have to wait a few moments after initial startup to build up enough vacuum to have power assisted brakes, but other than that, it works fine.

Casey

4. BelAir

BelAir Registered Member

Hi Arvetek. Yes, the extra vaacuum tank sounds like a good idea, but it raises some questions. What if you are doing a heavy emergency braking, and there is no vacuum on "the bottom" to put it that way? I mean if the last few inches of brake pedal travel suddenly becomes very heavy, and you are not prepared for it?
    Joe

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Well, the only time I've had problems is if I've pumped the brakes more than three times in a row. In other words, there is plenty of vacuum for the first full pedal travel, the second, and then the third time you start losing assist. After putting my reservoir on, I've never run out of vacuum assist. Normal braking and panic braking works just fine. It's only when turning the car around or something where you keep pressing the brake that it could be a problem. I don't think you'll have a problem, though.

Casey

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have a 3 gallon tank on mine and I never run out of vacuum. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif