Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Belt Replacement - help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by maxq15, Mar 6, 2002.

1. maxq15

maxq15 Registered Member

OK, here's the deal......I shredded the belt that turns the A/C compressor. I bought a replacement that is the same size as the broken one but can not get it on. I do not have the belt routing diagram on my truck and the Haynes manual instructions go into no more detail than, "replace the belts." The belt appears to wrap around the crank pully, water pump pulley, power steering pulley and the ac compressor pulley but when I loosen the ac compresor and pull it all of the way in, I can still barely get the belt on. If it is the same size as the one that was on there, I have to be routing it incorrectly. Does anyone know how I could view a routing diagram (maybe online) or could someone explain how it routes?

Here are the particulars:
    1987 GMC Jimmy 5.7L w/TBI

Thanks a bunch!!!

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I don't have the answer you are looking for (sorry.)
    But what about this. Put the belt how you think it should go. And now you say it is a little too tight and won't slip on? Go to the parts store and get the same elt, only a little longer.
    When I mangled my PS pulley, I got a replacement off a car that was aout an inch larger in diameter. The stock belt would not fit. They took the numbers off my belt, something like 36138 or something like that and told me what the numbers meant. The first two are the degree of the V in the belt - some pulleys used different angles, but mine was right (thank god.) The last two numbers are the length in inches. I got one two inches longer and it is perfect.
    Autozone, my friend, Autozone.
    -- Mike

3. maxq15

maxq15 Registered Member

If I had changed a pulley or affected the configuration in some way I would consider a different size belt but the truck has run for 15 years and 200,000+ miles with the proper belt. I have obviously not gotten the belt put back in the same way it is supposed to go on. Thanks for the suggestion though!

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I can peel mine off and fax a copy to you - sorry, no digicam at the moment.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Hummm... Ok, the AC movement wont help that much cause its mostly from a left to right movement, not an up down movement. see if you can loosen and adjust the PS pump and the AC pump. That may help you out.

BTW, while your in there... Im missing two of my AC bolts. THe Adjusting one and the engine block brace one. Think you could measure it for me? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. maxq15

maxq15 Registered Member

While I was at it, i replaced all of the belts. At the time I was trying to put on the AC belt I had the ps pump and the ac compressor pulled in as far as I could. If I had really tried I could have forced the belt on but I would not have been able to pull the ps pump out to tighten the other belt that runs on that pulley. Thanks for the suggestion though!