Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Belts squeaking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Jun 17, 2003.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

After changing out the water pump not too long ago I've noticed a squeaking from the front of the engine. Can't tell if its coming from one side or both. Would this indicate the belts are too tight or loose? Or maybe the bearing in one of the accesories is going bad?

I've been told the belt is on correctly when you can push it in only 1/4 inch...is this correct??

TIA

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

good rule of thumb is, enough play up or down thats about the width of 2 fingers is about right...

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I've had problems with belts. Once it gets "glazed" no amount of (reasonable) tightening will stop it from squeeling. Maybe it was just cheap belts, belt dressing spray wouldn't help either. Ended up replacing the whole set /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, if it's too loose it'll slip on the pulley. Is the squealing only when your turning the wheel, if so then the PS pump is probably low on fluid or something. I would replace the belts anyway, if you haven't already done that...Also make sure that one of the accesories didn't seize up, air pumps are notorious for this...

5. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

If its just a squeaky belt, just grad a bar of soap and let it rub the belt while the belt is running. I prefer Zest. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Seriously though the soap works if there is nothing else wrong besides the the belt squeaking.