Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Belts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Aug 27, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Some how we got a broken alternator belt so I went to the store and bought 1 loosened the alternator and put it on tighted it up tighted the bolts and it now squecks(sp) just above idle anyone know whats wrong?

2. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

check all your other pullies to make sure they are not seezed up. like your water pump power steering even your emmision pump if you still have it.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

what do you meen check them make sure there turning? and if they are what the next thing to check

4. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

yes if they are turning you sould be good. spray belt dressing to get rid of the noise.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'll bet that you didn't get the belt tight enough. Loosen off the pivot bolt on the bracket, slide a prybar in the bracket hole and push HARD against the alternator. Now tighten the pivot bolt back up. Sometimes with a new belt it helps to get a buddy to help you.

I would also take close at your alternator pulley. Make sure it turns freely and doesn't make any grinding or whining sounds when you spin it by hand. Maybe the reason you lost your first belt is because your alternator pulley is losing it's bearings and getting hot after a while.......

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

actually I think I need a new alternator becuase the pulley is warped(mabe its the shaft or somthen else) is there a way to repair this or just get a new one?

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

SO when you spin the pulley does it wobble around? It could be a lot of different things, but if it's the pully itself and not the shaft you may be able to unbolt the pulley and buy a new one. I guess the solution to your problem depends on how your alternator is built.