Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bench seat vs. bucket seats

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by littlejimmythatcould, Mar 1, 2007.

?

Bench Seat vs. Bucket Seats

1. Bucket Seat

62.0%
  2. Bench Seat

19.8%
  3. Use either one and sit in them nekkid

18.2%
  1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

My seats in my Jimmy are shot so it's new seat time (well, new to me seat time). I would like a bench seat because my wife, the dog and myself could all sit in the truck and not a whole lot of people that I've seen have bench seats in their Blazers/Jimmys. But with the bucket seats, the backs are higher and it might be easier to put 5 point harnesses on later. Or can 5 point harnesses be used on a bench seat. Any info to help would be appreciated, just biding my time with stuff that I have laying around before the 1 ton swap. Thanks. :bow:

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey LittleJimmy,

For me, I'm going to switch to buckets in my K10. I need all the space I can get. It's not like I have room to carry 3 or 4 in the cab anyway. I want to get a nice set of comfortable buckets that will accept 5 point harnesses and open it up a little to breath. Maybe, and it's a big maybe, a center concole, for lockable storage.

I'm in the same position you are. Not much experience with this swap-over and so I'm watching your lead with interest.

Manny

3. littlejimmythatcould

Yeah, both have their pros and cons that's why I decided to ask the guys (and girls) on here. I'm getting tired of racking my brain over the question, but one thing is for certain, there will be mossy oak seat covers involved :D

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Would you be able to get to the back seat with a bench?

I know they slide, but as much as the drivers seat? Or passenger seat in the '86+ K5's?

5. Burntclutch

Burntclutch Registered Member

I have a buddy that put a bench seat in his blazer,he used a bench out of a 77 1/2 ton. He does'nt use a 5 pnt. harness,just lap belts. He said his kids can still get in the back seat,but thats kids,he never said anything about grown folks squeeze'n between there.He also used the tracks off the bench and fab'd up brackets to mount'em,so the seat is adjustable. He's got pics of the install,I'll see if I can find'em.

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

im gonna eventually go with a crew cab.. was going to do it this summer but going to push it off for 2 years now.. wait till the second kid is bigger...

then buckets up front and bench in back... can carry a few people and have comfort for me.. :wink1:

7. littlejimmythatcould

I don't have the back seat in the truck anymore, all's I have is this. So that is why having the bench would be better, but I do have seats out of my 96 pickup that I traded in for my new truck, but one is broken. I am really torn between the two. The nastalgia of a bench seat or the function of the bucket seats. :dunno:

Edit: that is a pic of before I put handles on it.

5-33 012.jpg

8. K-5 Bomber

K-5 Bomber 1/2 ton status

I put a bench seat with a fold down console from an '89 Burb in my K5. Worked out well and I can still get in the back seat...'course, I'm kind of a thin guy though. I don't think you'd want to use the 5 point with these. On the other hand, if you're taking your dog, he/she would probably appreciate not going anyplace that would require the harness. I think you're in a trade off area here, Bud.

9. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

I got a 60-40 split bench in my k5 it came fom a 90s extended cab chevy. It "almost" bolted right in. The kids can get in and the wife can even get back there. Both sides slide up and the rear of the seat folds down. I like it alot beter than the buckets that was in it.

10. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

The only good thing about a bench seat is its easyer to get the gf closer. :D

11. K-5 Bomber

K-5 Bomber 1/2 ton status

60/40 would definately be the way to go:bow: . I wanted to get one like my wife had in her last pickup, but it was too hard to find here and too expensive. Mine cost $40 at a wrecking yard in Sparks. Couldn't beat the price for a short term fix.

12. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

X2!!!

13. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

on most bench seats the back rest folds forward correct? like in a truck so you can put stuff behind the seat? with that in mind it should be easy to get into the back seat. i think a bucket setup would be nice in the k5

14. littlejimmythatcould

I think that the 60/40 split bench sounds like the best of both worlds. I could fold down the center fer "bucket" seats and fold it up for a bench seat... Yes and the fact that it would be easier to get closer to the wife would be a plus... depending on the day (and what mood she's in). Hmmm... I"m going to start scouring the yards. Nothing like more truck seats sitting in the house to make the wife happy :D I do still have the bench seat and the two bucket seats to fall back on. Don't the split bench seats have cup holders on the back of the flip down part? Just trying to get more info so I can have ammo to talk to the Mrs. with on why I need more seats.

15. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

If I were in your shoes, I would look for bench seats out of a late model dodge. They have that big center console that folds up to make it a bench or down for buckets. YOu could still use a harness with it as well. You won't be able to use a harness on the passenger side with a 60/40.

Kind of like these but I found these when I was searching for a pic for you at chevyseats.com
    [​IMG]

16. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

17. littlejimmythatcould

Yeah, I found these at Summit, they are like the ones on that truck addons site, but cheaper. I already have two very nice bucket seats, so maybe I could find a flip up seat to go in between. I like the looks of that red seat man. I'll take a look at that site. I'm going to make a trip to the yards after work today and take a peek at what they got. I"ve got dana 60/14BFF and I'll be doing my lift and stuff soon and a long list of other parts to make it more offroad friendly. But along with those mods, good seats would definately make it more backside friendly (and wife friendly).

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BST%2D39804%2D04&N=700+4294925230+4294839019+115&autoview=sku

18. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

You could make yourself something as far as a middle popup goes. Youd have to make seatbelts too.

What id like to do is take one of the back bench seats that i took out of my 1990 Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager(currently in my living room as couches), weld the mounts to a plate, and bolt it in behind the rear seat in the jimmy. Boom! Instant 6 or 7 passenger capabillity!, and if i make the front a bench, 8! (As if i have that many friends..)

Id have to measure back there behind the 2nd seat but i think i could fit it.
    Id hope my floor would support it...dont think the engine/drivetrain would appreciate a full load though.
    Edit- I also dont think it would be going ANYWHERE with 8 people, on 35s, with 2.73 axle gears. Doh!

19. littlejimmythatcould

Nice website MostWanted. Yeah, me and my supervisor here at work were just talking about making a center console/seat thing. I think that would solve my problem. Leave it to CK5 to expand my narrow little mind. The only problem would be making it comfortable enough for the wife to WANT to sit on it. But it would give me the oportronity to use my hillbilly skills.... :rolleyes: I'll have to ask her if she would like a new comfortable seat or the hillbilly deluxe.

Edit: Too bad they don't make those center consoles in real tree or mossy oak... homemade might be the way to go on this one.

20. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Hillbilly deluxe, hands down!