Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

benchtop grinder... HF?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by jekbrown, Aug 19, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm in need of an el-cheapo benchtop grinder. Using a 4.5" handheld grinder for hours on end on small pieces is a real PITA. I'm headed to HF to see what they have. Anyone have a HF one? If so, which model and how do ya like it?

j

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got the "Industrial" 6" grinder, the yellow one. I bought it "on sale" and it's been a fairly good, if underpowered grinder. But I find my 4.5” grinder works faster for most things.

If I ever get a round tuit, I have been gathering parts to build a belt driven grinder which I feel is vastly superior. This one will run a 2HP industrial GE motor driving a heavy ~1.5" diameter spindle running in Timken bearings with a coarse AO stone on one side, and a 3/4 Super chuck on the other. A second spindle will mount a fine AO and a fine SO wheel. And a third spindle will drive a 72" belt sander patterned on the KMG posted before. I’ve got most of the parts, and machines+stock for the rest, just got to get it done.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an 8" orange one. 3/4 HP. Its a little underpowered, but works fine for what I do.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

daily grind...

I have a "Buffalo" brand 6" bench grinder--bought from a flea market many years ago...has no balls at all,you can stall it quite easily..I get by with it,but I would not buy another cheapie..it was only 20 bucks though..still works ok..

My co-worker at the junkyard made his own,by robbing a motor from an old washing machine,that had a shaft on each end--had to weld a base on the motor...he found 2 "mandrels" at a hardware store for about 4 bucks apeice,to mount the grinding wheels to it with..it blew mine away,that thing would not bog down and stall like my grinder would!....(and it was built from JUNK!)..:doah:

I had a simple 1/4 hp electric motor with a pulley/belt drive and a "poilishing head" bolted to a peice of 3/4" plywood for a grinder/wire brush combo for a long time (still have it!)--I think it was better than the Tiwan grinder is.....:crazy:

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I bought one of their little 4" wheel grinders, but I only use it for sharpening the TIG tungstens.
    For metal removal & shaping I prefer the 6x48 belt sander.

6. jekbrown

got the HF el-cheapo. We'll see how it does. Only $24.50 brand new after I used my 15% off coupon. :)

j

7. jekbrown

used my HF quite a bit today. I can stall it if I try, but its a bazillion times better / easier than using a handheld for several hours at a time. ;) As always, I wish I had the coin for some supa-bling bling tools... but I'll make due with the HF stuff until the Powerball winnings start coming in. :thumb:

j

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

How many HP and how many amps does it draw? TIA.

9. jekbrown

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner