Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bend over and spread em...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

So I went and talked to the Air National Guard recruiter the other day... Now I'm signed up to take the ASVAB next Wednesday... and the physical at the ANG place on May 2 at 7 am... I frickin hate physicals, this one will probably be the worst one in the world, eh? After that I just need to decide on a job and if I really want free college or not... Right now I'm rather excited about it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I just need to get my stupid ankle fixed ASAP and see how far back I can push BMT so I don't leave my boss hanging over the busy season at work, and figure out how I'm going to pay for my truck and my phone while I'm gone...

Just thought I'd mention that I hate physicals and have a big one coming... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

joining the guard huh? Guess you'll be taking to us from Iraq soon enough /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Congrats, it's something to be excited about!

My brother just graduated Navy boot camp. Before he went in, though, he was trying to lose wieght like crazy, and ended up doing fine. That was his big fear of the physical, not making the wieght limit.

He has a brand new GTI and dozens of other bills to worry about, which my sister graciously took on since he was living in her house last (expected his last few paychecks to cover the bills, which they didn't so she covered them..). He should be paying his own bills again in A school (if that's what it's called).

Anyway, congrats! Don't sweat the physical, you won't know what you need til you get through it, right?

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I think I'm in well enough shape to pass the physical, and can definately be in better shape by the time I go for training...

The Iraq thing... almost everyone I've discussed this with while I'm deciding has brought up the subject "what if you get shipped off to the war?" One lady at work even got really really upset, and I wasn't even talking to her about it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif... I'm not too worried about it... Even if I get shipped off, it's all part of the job... and hopefully by the time I'm done with basic training and AIT it'll have calmed down a bit... And how much trouble can an air traffic controller (job I'm hoping for) get into anyway? It's just kind of annoying, because some of the people who were urging me to sign up when I dropped out of high school are now telling me I'm making a horrible choice just thinking about it... pretty much everyone except my brother, sister, and my parents, but I guess that's all I need is my parents and my siblings...

I read in the paper today that we have about 133,000 guys over there... and how many have been killed? Here's a quick calculation on a VERY VERY high estimate: 133,000 troops, 1,000 dead, 0.0076% of the people over there... I believe in statistics and if I end up over there, sure I'll be worried and probably scared shitless, but I'll just remember that number .0076. My chances of coming home in a box are HUGELY outweighed by the chances of not... and I think serving time over there is just a small price to pay in return for living the way I do, and of course not having a bomb dropped on my head.... and, the best part, having my college 100% paid for, and actually leaving with money in my pocket /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Life is just a dream you know....

Good luck!

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Just a bit weary of some random flight surgeon grabbing me in places no man should ever even look when other men are involved /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif... But... maybe it'll be a hot foxy mama looking for a nice, young, testicular cancer-free man /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But... maybe it'll be a hot foxy mama looking for a nice, young, testicular cancer-free man

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    air traffic controller

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the Air Farce actually have something like a combat air traffic controller where they go out with grunts and stuff?

You will hate the physical. Took me all morning long and stuff like spreading your cheeks and some old geezer grabbing your junk. Not fun.

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Ya I get to report at 0645 as they say in the military... and the recruiter said I'd be done around noon... and with my luck my boss will schedule me to work at 2 or 3 since she likes to work my ass off when I ask for days off... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

under the soldiers and sailors act you do not have to make any payments for anything while you are in basic. your recruiter should know this and should do all the paperwork for you. you can not occure any fees or extra interest due to this. ask him, he will know LOTS MORE. i didnt have any bills goin in. so i had no worries.
    Grant

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

never had a physical as far as i can recall, if i ever have had oen then it was a super long time ago and im only 25, so..

traffic air controller, hmm... very interesting work that would be, interesting enough that id be interested in getting into it with the Army, etc.

as long as you never have to leave the ground! ive been on top of a grain elevator and thats way more than damned plenty high enough up off the ground for me! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

congrats and good luck /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

When I came in my first job choice was Air Traffic Control but I got my second pic of Weather Forecaster. I'm glad it worked out that way. The ATC job can be VERY busy at times. Lots of people who can't handle it get moved into other less stressful jobs.

13. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    , and figure out how I'm going to pay for my truck and my phone while I'm gone...

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk to your recruiter on that one. If I remember correctly, your recruiter can help you get you bills postponed during BMT. Not positive, but I think so.

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You can always sign up for the delayed entry program where you dont leave for basic for up to 12 months if you want to work thru your busy season at the hotel first. I joined on that program when I was 17 and a Senior in high school so I didnt leave for Basic until after I graduated.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In the Guard you can "split op" too so you go to basic on year, take a year off, then go to, "tech school" as the Air Farce calls it.

16. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the military! You are on your way in and I am on my way out. The Soldiers and Sailors Relief act was mentioned to you and it is very beneficial. You are considering the Air National Guard, that is good, I can think of much less rewarding branches (nobody take that the wrong way /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Don't sweat the physical at MEPS, it is probably the easiest thing you will go through in the military. Hopefully you have a good NCOIC, if so, you should be well taken care of. Just remember "The only stupid question is the question not asked". Basic training is easy. Even mine wasn't bad, Army Infantry. It is a mental thing. I could ramble with advice but I am sure you will get an overwelming amount anyway. You will do great, good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

Kevin

17. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    "The only stupid question is the question not asked".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha!! That's what they tell you, but just wait until some numbnuts in your platoon asks a truly stupid question! Oh, and while you're at MEPS take a visit to the Marine recruiter's office. It's never too late to change your mind...

Semper Fi

(Congrats BTW)

Aferthought..
    I just remembered that when I went to MEPS physical, I was so nervous about being DQ'd for something silly like excessive acne that my heart rate was almost high enough to get me a DQ. The doc had me sit down and take a few deep breaths, I calmed down enough to get my heart rate to an acceptable level. I wanted to be a Marine soooo bad.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I get to avoid MEPS... The guard unit here does their own physicals /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Glad you all are here... I probably never would have found out about getting my bills postponed otherwise, because I probably wouldn't have thought to ask my recruiter... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

19. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    some of the people who were urging me to sign up when I dropped out of high school are now telling me I'm making a horrible choice

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. I thought you had to have a high school education in order to volunteer... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    some of the people who were urging me to sign up when I dropped out of high school are now telling me I'm making a horrible choice

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. I thought you had to have a high school education in order to volunteer... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing that he was headed for college I would guess he has a GED at a minimum. In the guard you can usually get a waiver for a lot of the requirements depending on how bad the recruiter needs to fill his quota for the month.