Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bender question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Nov 12, 2004.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

why would a bender like this not bend tubing? it says tubing bender but says it has dies for pipe?? could you just put tube dies on it instead or is there another part im missing? clicky

thanks

69k5

[​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That bender will kink the tubing. To bend anything in that bender means all the upward pressure is one one tiny part of the tube.

The correct bender is referred to as "Rotary draw". It pulls the tube around the die set like wrapping a piece of wire around a pencil. This spreads the bending pressure along the entire length of the bend.

For heavier wall pipe like schedule 40, the pipe bender is OK.

Ya get what you pay for would be the short answer.

Rene

3. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

Even though it says tubing bender, it's not. That site is inncorrect it is a pipe bender. I used this one HF bender to build my bumpers and it worked just fine for pipe. If you have a Harbor Freight tools by you, they only cost like $69 so your not out that much if you don't like it. If you are wanting to use it to build things like bumpers I would say go for it, but if you need to bend tube for something like a roll cage it won't work.
    Here is a picture of the bends I made with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

trustyk5

i was afraid of that it sounded way to cheap. i was doing some more searching while i was waiting on replys, and found they put flat spots on tubing. i found this place on how to build a bender and about 50 other how to's. what do you think of the idea? clicky at least now i can narrow down my search since i know what the correct bender would be called.

tuff84blaze

those bumpers look good. i especially like the rear one. there is a HF here in town. i had seen it before and thought about it. i was kinda wanting one that i could oneday build a cage woth but for now just bumpers and a mule/4 wheeler thing for my dad. i had started its frame out of square stock but i didnt like the way it looked. i may get the HF to learn what im doing now and just spend the money later when its cage time.

thanks

69k5 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

forgot to ask if anyone knew of a budget priced rotary bender? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I felt that the JD2 I bought was reasonably priced...especially for what I can build with it. Even building your own bender, you'll still have to buy the die sets which are about the same cost as a JD2 bender.

i could have built my own bender, but I only have so much free time...

Rene

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

very true. im limited on my time as well with college and the 2 kids and wife. ill probably just but like a jd2.

thanks
    again

69k5