Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Benders, What's The Difference?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Benders, What\'s The Difference?

Can someone tell me what the difference is between an exhaust bender and a tube bender? Thank you!

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Re: Benders, What\'s The Difference?

I thought it was that exhaust is pipe, whereas tubing is..tubing.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    -- Mike

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

TTT - anyone have a definitive answer? We have an exhaust bender and welder. We'd buy the correct pipe. It seems to me that bending pipe is bending pipe but I do not want to compromise the safety of my family. Thanks!

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

That's it. Exhuast bender bends pipe (measures by ID) and tube bender bends tube (measures by OD).

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

To better understand the difference in benders you need to understand the difference between pipe and tube. Pipe is made to carry stuff through it (i.e. exhaust gasses, water) Tube is used for structural applicatoins so it is designed to carry a load. And like Boss said they are measured differently.

That exhaust bender will put a nice crease at the bend causing a weak spot. Tube benders maintain the shape of the tube through the bend making for a much stronger.

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Now that is the kind of reply I was hoping for! Thank you. We need to determine if it would be cost effective to buy a bender or just buy a cage already made... any opinions on that? So far my favorite cage is the one from Echobit.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I believe that exhaust bender would use a much weaker device to do the bending because the wall thickness of exhause tubing is relatively small compared to the tubing. I thin you'd need an actual tubing bender to bend tube. Just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

not to change the subject but can you bend exhaust pipe with a tubing bender?

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We need to determine if it would be cost effective to buy a bender or just buy a cage already made... any opinions on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I juggled that question in my head for a while and decided to get my own bender. I got quoted nearly $2k for the cage I wanted at a race fab shop. I decided for that much money I can buy my own bender and a decent welder. I now have both and started building rock sliders this past weekend. I'm also goin to build bumpers then start on the cage. Doing it this way is going to save me tons since I'm not looking for the average 4 or 6 point cage, I'm going all out. So I guess you need to ask yourself what your plans are for your truck. If a 4-6 point cage is all you want, I can't see buying your own bender and welder a practical choice.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Another thing you need to look into is tube availibility/price. It's easy to find out here in Cali, and if one shops around, can get killer deals on it; but as far as where you are at, ask around, look in the yellow pages and make phone calls.

11. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    We need to determine if it would be cost effective to buy a bender or just buy a cage already made... any opinions on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I juggled that question in my head for a while and decided to get my own bender. I got quoted nearly $2k for the cage I wanted at a race fab shop. I decided for that much money I can buy my own bender and a decent welder. I now have both and started building rock sliders this past weekend. I'm also goin to build bumpers then start on the cage. Doing it this way is going to save me tons since I'm not looking for the average 4 or 6 point cage, I'm going all out. So I guess you need to ask yourself what your plans are for your truck. If a 4-6 point cage is all you want, I can't see buying your own bender and welder a practical choice.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree with Savage one.It depends on what your plans for the truck are.
    If you decide you dont want the bender after you build what you need you could always sell it.

Heres my first project with the new bender; [​IMG]

12. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Great work! Could you imagine how much a fab show would've charged you for that /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Plus its way more fun to DIY

13. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I know some roundy racer dudes that built complete IMCA cars with an exhaust bender.....if you have one already get some tube that you like and give it shot...it does distort a little, but should be decent for recreationl use.

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Great work! Could you imagine how much a fab show would've charged you for that /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Plus its way more fun to DIY

[/ QUOTE ]

Pfffft......Rod (Savage1) doesn't even work for his bends, he's got a hydro setup!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just keep "pushing that button" Rod, meanwhile I'm bending 2" DOM by hand and getting HUGE!!!! We'll armwrestle in Hollister this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I called my steel guy (replaced my floor last year) and I can get the tubing from him for 1.75/foot for 1 3/4 or 1.65 for 1 1/2.... now I wonder how many feet total a cage is?? Looks like, a lot. I'm just trying to figure now what is the most cost effective way to go. Even the steel guy says our bender should work fine if we have the right dies, which we do since we run a full-fledged exhaust shop (1 1/2 inch exhuast, lol). I REALLY like the Echobit cage but am hesitating on the shipping cost. At any rate, looks like next month a cage will go in and the half cab will come off! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pfffft......Rod (Savage1) doesn't even work for his bends, he's got a hydro setup!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just keep "pushing that button" Rod, meanwhile I'm bending 2" DOM by hand and getting HUGE!!!! We'll armwrestle in Hollister this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah man, get swoll and bend tube, gotta love that. If you seen my garage you'll know why I opted for the portable hydro setup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif