Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bendin' Tube 101

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AkMudr, Mar 9, 2005.

1. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Ive seen a few threads lately about bendin shtuff up and I remember coming across this article so I figured I'd throw it up for you guys to read. Makes startin out real simple without the headache of all the catchy terms n such. After time its easier to catch onto the terminology once youve already had a feel for it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bendin_tube/index.html

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I use an inexpensive software called "Band-Tech EZ". I'll have to search for a link, although I'm pretty sure there is a trial version up on the Van Sant site.

http://www.vansantent.com/Vendor_pages/2020Software.htm

It kicks butt and takes all the guesswork out of bending stuff up. I highly recomend it, especially with the price of steel right now.

Rene

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

When I get my bender I'm definately gonna look into some software. I dont wanna be that guy with a junk pile of misbent tubing, especially with the price of steel!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I figure the software paid for itself in the first two lengths I pulled through my bender. It's scary how accurate that software is once the parameters have been entered. The most critical is 'actual' CLR, versus the die-sets advertised CLR. The 'actual' will vary from one material and wall thckness to the next.

It all depends on how much spring back you end up with.

Rene

5. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

tube bending basics please

I have been reading the posts on tube bending, and had a few questions. I have never really looked into the process before but i have been thinking about buying basic equipment for some projects.

First most of you talk about $1000 machines that look similar to the pictures in the links above. Previously I had only seen something that looks like a bottle jack with a set of curved metal plates that push against a solid frame. Basically a 12 ton ram bends the tube against the frame. These units are only a few $100 at most and have adapters for sizes from 1/2 to 3inch.

what are the advantages /dis-advantages of those pictured vs the basic hydrolic ram design? I am not doing production work and would only be using it for the occasional project.

also I always assumed that minor errors in measurments could be corrected by cutting and welding and as long as you kept at least the minimum wall thickness in your welds and bends you should keep almost the same strength. Other than adding more work for yourself are there problems with that theory?

As I said I have never actually gotten involved with bending tube before, so and guidance that keeps me from buying a poor tool would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

the bender you are talking about is a pipe bender, not a tube bender. It will mess up a boat load of tubing.

$1000 dollar machines aren't necessarry. My tube bender cost $290 plus $200 for a die. I made the stand and the handle. I also bought a degree ring but it is not required, just conveniant. Greg at www.4wdfactory.com can hook you up.

You can see some of my benders tube work in these links
    http://www.austink5.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=86
    http://www.austink5.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=10572#10572

7. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

www.trick-tools.com is another great place to get benders and dies. Fast shipping and good customer service. I highly recommend BendTech software, it really does take the guess work out of bending tube.