Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bending larger steel tubing ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Mar 16, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

how to you go about shaping/bending larger diameter thick steel tubing like as big as you would use to make custom bumper for truck, etc ? i need to find some big tubing soemwhere in town around here and want to make a custom bumper tube and arch tubing as high as the hood and as wide as front clip but how to bend the stuff ? what are options ? who has done what to accomplish this ? heat ? or ?

thanks

2. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

There is a tools to specifically bend tubing. One of the Four Wheel magazines had a tech on one. I can't find it must of put it in storage. One version was manual and one hydrolic. Maybe someone remembers which one and you can check there website. Or you can do a search for "tube benders"

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Specifically how big are you talking about? HF makes one that bends pipe up to 2" or so, maybe a little more. You can get it on sale for $69 or so. "Tube" benders (like most use for cages with *tube*) generally run $500 and up with one size die, each die will set you back another roughly $200. You can get pipe dies for the "tube" bender too. Sizes go up to something like 2.5" I think.(?) Anything bigger, I have no clue other than high $$$$ pro and industrial stuff...

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

im talking at least 6" if not 8" -for making bumper and stuff

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im talking at least 6" if not 8" -for making bumper and stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, dude -

I've never seen anything that will bend stuff that big...not saying it doesn't exist, I've just never seen it.

Anything I've seen done with pipe that big was done with pre-fabbed 90's or 45's and welded.

If you do find somehting that will bend it, I can guarentee it's gonna be BIG $$$.

You do realize that 10 foot of 6 inch galvanized conduit weighs about 177 lbs. don't you? 8" will weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 lbs per 10 foot.

6. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

I have never heard of anyone wanting to bend anything that big, that big you cut it and weld it bag together. The stretching would make it to thin on the bends. Pro Tools
    The biggest they have a tool to do is 2" but they have a cool computer controlled one /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

how could you bend pipe to 90 degree bend with a welder ??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

hehe don't bend it for say, you cut it and weld it back together :P

9. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

just to put my 2 cents in 6 or 8" is not tubing your talking about PIPE. hehe you wont find anything to bend it. and if you do i know its outta my price range.JMO /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    hehe don't bend it for say, you cut it and weld it back together :P

[/ QUOTE ]

crappy..

thanks

11. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Oh, you can bend it. You just need a bigger bender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, you can bend it. You just need a bigger bender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

holy fudge damn@!

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

You do realize that 10 foot of 6 inch galvanized conduit weighs about 177 lbs. don't you? 8" will weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 lbs per 10 foot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the whole idea. Heavy pipe can take the beating when you hit trees and stuff. Who cares if your front bumper weighs 150 lbs?

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Who cares if your front bumper weighs 150 lbs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people don't like the look of the front sagging 6 inches lower than the rear? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif JK man. Maybe go thick alumimnum pipe of similar size? But then you would need to be damn good with a welder!

15. BrianDamage

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that 6" or 8" is going a little overboard... 2 or 3 inches should be sufficient
    That's the whole idea. Heavy pipe can take the beating when you hit trees and stuff. Who cares if your front bumper weighs 150 lbs?

[/ QUOTE ]

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that 6" or 8" is going a little overboard... 2 or 3 inches should be sufficient

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

galvanized conduit? huh ? im just talking commmonly seen steel tube that you would weld on a cap to for use as a bumper, they are around 6" diameter, at least all that ive seen ppl use for bumpers anwyays, they dont weigfh that much, maybe like 40 or so lbs, im not sure what you guys are thinking here, hmm.. interesting!

17. BrianDamage

[ QUOTE ]

galvanized conduit? huh ? im just talking commmonly seen steel tube that you would weld on a cap to for use as a bumper, they are around 6" diameter, at least all that ive seen ppl use for bumpers anwyays, they dont weigfh that much, maybe like 40 or so lbs, im not sure what you guys are thinking here, hmm.. interesting!

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I said galvanized conduit was I'm an electrician and I got those weight quotes out of a conduit bending book

it should fairly close unless you're talking about some kind of thin-wall stuff - all galvinized conduit is is steel pipe. I had to guess-timate that weight for 8 inch, since the book doesn't go that high. Of course, conduit is measured by the ID, not the OD, so there may be a differance.

here's what I got (all are per 10 feet):

1/2" = 7.9lbs
    3/4" = 10.5lbs
    1" = 15.3 lbs
    1 1/4" = 20.1 lbs
    1 1/2" = 24.9 lbs
    2" = 33.4 lbs
    2 1/2" = 52.7 lbs
    3" = 69 lbs
    3 1/2" = 83.2 lbs
    4" = 134.4 lbs
    5" = 134.4 lbs
    6" = 177lbs

18. BrianDamage

Ok - found a tubing/pipe manufacturer online. I see what you're talking about now...you're talking about the 16 guage stuff (41.2 lbs per 10 foot)
    (the conduit I was referring to is schedule 40 - thick stuff)

here's a link to that chart

Pipe Chart

here's a place that can bend up to 8" for you, but I'll bet you'd have to mortgage your house to get it done

Pipebending.com

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok - found a tubing/pipe manufacturer online. I see what you're talking about now...you're talking about the 16 guage stuff (41.2 lbs per 10 foot)
    (the conduit I was referring to is schedule 40 - thick stuff)

here's a link to that chart

Pipe Chart

here's a place that can bend up to 8" for you, but I'll bet you'd have to mortgage your house to get it done

Pipebending.com

[/ QUOTE ]

super ! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Keep in mind that when you smack something hard with the "worlds strongest bumper" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif that it will transfer the impact to the frame instead of bending. I'd rather bend a bumper than buckle the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif