Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bending tube for a cage with el cheapo bender

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jun 23, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I made the mistake of posting somthing about this on pirate a while ago and got "flamed" becaust I didnt search through hours of worthless posts on how great the JD2 bender is.

Any way. This is the bender I am thinking about
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32888
    Does any one know if this will bend a pipe to a 90 degree angle, and how would one "shim" the dies to eliminate the wrinkles. I dont care about mass production or fabricating some vehicle that looks like it should be exploring mars. The stock car places around here want $800 for a cage and I could get this bender, notcher, and material for $180 to do a complete cage all the way back to protect the passenger area.

Any details are greatly appreciated!
    Brent

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It'll bend pipe perfectly...but tubing is more of a trick. Pipe is measured and defined by it's 'inside diameter' or I.D. Tube is measured and defined by its 'outside diameter' or O.D.

This means the dies for pipe and the dies for tube are not the same. Some people have just used tubing that matches the pipe dies they have. 1 1/4" pipe dies are 1.625" o.d., so a lot of people use 1 5/8" tubing and use the pipe bender. I am not sure how good of a 90 degree bend that would do though. It would probably be good enough for 60-75 degrees though. I think with some patience and an open mind you 'could' make the pipe bender work...

Rene

3. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Ask Grim. I'm pretty sure that's what he used successfully. I'll be doing the same since I have that bender.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

I use that bender to build my rear bumper, fender guards and cage. Marv Springer showed me how to use it (He made his whole "funbuggy" frame with it), and I came up with a few ideas of my own. Here's what I do:

I use 1-1/2" .120 wall tubing. I took the 1" pipe die and ground it to fit the tubing perfectly. I took a short piece of 1-1/2 schedule 80 pipe (1.5" ID), cut it in half lengthwise, to use as support against the rollers. The most I have been able to bend is 70 degrees. You have to work the tubing back and forth in the die (about an inch from center) to keep it smooth. To get a 90, you have to bend 2 45s, the closest I could get the 45s was about 6" apart. HTH

5. tRustyK5

What radius does the pipe bender bend to? Two 45's only 6" apart doesn't sound too bad...

Rene

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Yeah, they turn out ok. I think the radius on the 1 die is about 5". I'm not at home right now, so I can't measure it for sure. To get the 45's so close together, I had to move one side of the rollers way in towards the die.

7. tRustyK5

I figure I'll get a pipe bender and do it the hard way too...I just don't have the moolah for a JD2. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Good to know that a little imagination can overcome the diferences in the two benders to a degree...

Rene

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

That is exactly what I wanted to hear! I should have came here first! Too bad harbor freight closed at 4pm, I was pulling up just as they were turning the lights off.... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif