Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bendix C30 calipers -- where does the clip go?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Jan 15, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

So I'm assembling a set of calipers for a C30 dually, and they have the JB8 Bendix calipers, big mofos. The one piece the new ones came with and my cores didn't have is a little springy clip, one per side.

There's the long flat spring that goes behind the slide that goes the caliper in, that I got squared away. This other one, though, is 'bout half an inch wide, and irregularly shaped.

Anybody got a picture of where this thing goes? The GM parts book shows it, but doesn't show WHERE it goes.

I can post up a pic if y'all need it, but I think if you've done these calipers you'll know what I mean. Ideally you'd even have a pic of where I'm supposed to put it, cuz I'm stumped :confused:

-- A

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Is it the one that clips to the back of the brake pad, and then fits into the piston when the pad is installed? If so, that's the vibration/squeal silencer for the pad on the piston side of the caliper.

3. dremu

I thought of that, but no, it's waaaay too small. Here's a really crappy picture I just took, it's the blue-circled thing that isn't a pipe wrench... the orange blob is the caliper, to give a sense of scale and how bad my photography is.

-- A

clippything.jpg

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Sent PM, but this might be easier with the picture right above my post.

Looking at the picture above, the clip should fit on the end of the pad that is right above it. Then you wedge that pad into the caliper bracket on the truck. That spring holds the pad in place while you drop the caliper and other pad over it.

If you lose it or break it, don't worry ... it'll work fine without it. 1/2 of my trucks don't have it.

Eric M.

5. dremu

Ah yes. I remember on the one I test fit ... off the truck, so sideways ... that inner pad (or was it outer? yes, outer) was a major PITA!

Thanks again!

-- A