Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bendix gear too close to flexplate ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Sep 12, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

on a 250 six cylinder, 1969 year with normal two bolt aluminum starter nose straight across mounting bolts, IE 153 tooth plate- i have an issue with bendix gear still intermeshed with the flexplate teeth, the gear isnt all the way over to the end of the starter nose cone, but its about 80% still intermeshed, hmm..
    cant move starer away from block sideways but only can move it straight down with a shim, if it needs that done then it would hjave to be a VERY thin shim.,

or will it unmesh after engine starts up and runs ?
    this engine is not in vehicle- i simply assembled a starter with a nose that fits and instazlled it ot the engine and tested it and it turns over the engine nicely. seems to trun a little slower than it should with a 153 tooth plate, but thats probably cuz the battery im using needs recharged from sitting.

what do you think ?

thanks

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Any good auto parts store will have GM starter shims. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif They are very thin and have holes in them to match the starter bolt pattern. If you have a service manual, check the section on starters. It should show you how to measure for the proper clearance between the flexplate teeth and the starter teeth. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Any good auto parts store will have GM starter shims. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif They are very thin and have holes in them to match the starter bolt pattern. If you have a service manual, check the section on starters. It should show you how to measure for the proper clearance between the flexplate teeth and the starter teeth. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

"good auto parts store"

hah! thats another thing that doesnt exist here, hmm.. we have napa, auto zone and a small town tiny parts plus store and thats it, hmmm..
    you have to fend for yourself in this area if you need parts other than common basic ones, or go to dealer and hope they have parts for a million bucks a piece.

i might have a shim around, but id have to dig and dig and hope i can find one of them., thats probably what i need to do, just needs shimmed a tiny tiny bit i bet,

thanks!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd be surprised if Napa didn't have a pack of starter shims.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The best way to measure the proper clearance between the flexplate and starter drive gear is to use a 1/8 inch allen wrench between the outside edge of the teeth on the flexplate to the shaft the starter drive gear rides on--this is the correct clearance,shim as nessasary to obtain this clearance--alot easier that trying to use a wire feeler gauge and hold the gear engaged at the same time! I learned this from a rebult starter companys instruction sheet--works for me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Also there are many noses that look the same but are slightly different,be sure you have the right one! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

im pretty sure im using a late 70s oldsmobile or caddy v8 nose cone but hey it works, just needs tiny bit of shim /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i forgot what engine i got the start nose off of, but it came off some car i dont remember which, have never had an aluminum starter nose cone 25o engine so it cant be from one of them,. ive only had the old truck iron bellhousing iron starter nose cone 250 engines to date, just like what this 69 250 was.
    thanks