Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bendix or Delco Brake Booster?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dr1553, Jul 30, 2002.

1. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Everyone,

The auto parts store calls up two different types of brake vacuum boosters for my '72 K5. Either a Bendix or a Delco type. Since they have to order the part we cant compare my old one with the new one. How can I tell which one I have?

I need a new one because I kept loosing fluid and couldnt find a leak...pulled of the booster vacuum hose to the carb and found brake fluid!

Thanks,
    David

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Here is the Bendix booster I had in my 71 Blazer.Sorry,I don't have a pic. of the Delco unit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

fluid in your break booster???...i am afraid thats not the booster goin out...that would be your master cylinder takin a crap on ya /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

4. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

BobK,

That looks like it...thanks!

Later,
    David

5. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Chaz,

Well...I just took the booster and the master cylinder out as a unit. The booster was full of fluid...it all poored out of the hole where the vacuum hose to carb goes.

Are you sure that means a bad cylinder and not a bad booster? That would be great if I only had to replace the cylinder and not the booster but I would hate to get it back in and it be the booster.

What was happening was that the rear reservoir in the master cylinder was emptying all its fluid quickly. The front reservoir didnt leak a drop. Not much braking power at all...mushy pedal all the way to the floor. I replaced the cylinders and pads in the rear because the cylinders were leaking. But it didnt fix the problem although it helped a little.

What do you think?

I might just replace them both anyways....its only a little more to get both then to get one or the other. Big discount when both are bought as a unit.

Thanks,
    David

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well since the booster is not spose to have any type of fluid in it at all (unless its a hydro assast) that means the fluid is comin out the back of the master cylinder...now since your booster is got fluid in it now..you might as well replace the booster too.. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

7. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Chaz,

Especially since I got them both out. Because now I could buy both together and paint them real pretty black and have at least one part of my blazer thats shiny! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Its not that much more to get the booster and master cylinder together than just buying the cylinder. Only about $20 more here at the local parts house. The master cylinder is the expensive part...the booster is cheap!

How do you know when a booster goes bad as opposed to a master cylinder?

Thanks,
    David

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

because you will loose the power breaks...they will still work...just have to stand on em /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Chaz,

Awww....that makes sence. Because the booster is just that...a booster. You can still turn the tires when the power steering pump goes out its just hard as heck!

Later,
    David

Hey?....at 50 posts do I move up from pavement pounder?

10. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heck....lets find out....50 posts. Only took me a few years!

11. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Hmmm...guess I'm still a pavement pounder. The FAQ says that after 25 posts you move to Spotter. Oh well.

12. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

just buy it together there isonly like 26 diollars difference when i did mine, but i agree that its the master and not the booster.

nathan