Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bendix won't disengage after muddin'

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spincast375, Nov 1, 2005.

1. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

Went muddin' last Sunday at Wheelin-in-the-country in Summertown, TN. Soaked everything. And the trails are cut more for Jeeps. Didn't see too many Chevy's. It was just ok. We haven't had a lot of rain, so it was very dusty. Not sure we will go there again.

After we got home and cleaned up, she ('84 Blazer 454) has a hard time starting. It seems the bendix on the starter doesn't disengage immediately. But it is intermittant. We flushed out the area with the hose as best we could. This wasn't so much mud, as soup. I think it seeped into areas I can't wash off.

I have never pulled a starter. I need your advice: is this something a part-time DIY-er can do? If the bendix needs replacing, do I have to take it to a shop?

Thanks.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

2 bolts. If it was installed with shims, they might have shifted or fallen out. Not likely, but something to look for. Pretty much remove and reinstall and see what happens.

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Removing and replacing a starter is something that can easily be done in the driveway, my dad's done it twice to vehicles we own. The hardest part about doing it comes when trying to re-install the thing and the starter's pinion gear gets turned a tad where it won't mesh up with the flywheel or flexplate ring gear, leading to all sorts of curse-fits until you get it turned so the teeth line up again.

Just remember to disconnect the battery before you start. I know it seems like common sense, but you can't have too many reminders.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Ya definatly disconnect the batterys, after arching a wrench across to a transmission line, poping a hole it in and being covered in atv, also incuring a 50 dollar tow charge...disconnect the battery...

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I arced a wrench to the frame of my S-10 blazer and lit up some WD-40/PB Blaster

Disconnect the battery == good idea.