Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Benefits of going from carbed 305 to TPI 305

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sample, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Just curious if it is beneficial to do this swap. Are there any cons? What would be needed? This is going into an '83.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

I went from a craperated 86 305 to a craperated 84 350...
    Wait till you find a 350 - then it's worth the effort.

Mikey

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

What you gain is drivability, especially in off camber situations.
    If you are not looking for huge improvement in power and don't need what a bigger motor will give you, I would go with the TPI.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The pro is that when you decide to put a 350 in, you can use essentially everything, injectors being the big change necessary.

Since the wiring would be the same for 305/350 same vintage, I'd do the TPI swap if you can get one cheap, but a 350 will give you more power than going from carb to TPI.

TPI motors make a lot of low end torque (great for trucks) but you'll still have a 305.

There is a LOT of stuff necessary for the swap, but its fairly easy to do if you understand wiring diagrams and don't try to half ass it. (Painless)

For instance, what *I'd* say you need is a complete TPI setup off of a Camaro, right around '88 vintage. (believe '87 was even less integrated into the fuse panel side than the '88) Including the distributor, ALL wiring (uncut) base, runners, plenum, throttle body, ECM, fuel pump, and all the sensors. Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. Thats all from the Camaro. Believe if you get an '85 or '86 TPI base the later stuff will work on it fine, but it would bolt up to any small block up to '85. Could probably trade the base with someone.

For the truck itself, you have to figure out how to power the setup (a fair number of 10 amp fuses) then you need to get a baffled (87-91) K5 fuel tank, AND the sender. You need to run all new fuel lines (high pressure) on the drivers side. Some small stuff such as fuel pump feed will need to be addressed, but its pretty simple.

Theres more, but thats a quick run down. In the process of doing this to my "1986" K5.

5. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Wow, that is a whole lot of stuff to do. I don't mind the work, but I wander what the cost of it will turn out to be.
    Thanks for all of the responses.

Newbie,
    Chris

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'd have to budget yourself about $1500.

Unless you get lucky and get a whole lot of GOOD parts for extremely cheap, even with complete harnesses and what not, you'll end up replacing things, and for sure the cost of the fuel tank, lines, etc.

It's worth it, but you've got to be serious about doing the swap, hence the "no half ass" comment.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You could also go with a new holley pro-jection which is a TBI complete system for $950.
    All you will need to finish is the baffled gas tank.

8. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Unless you already have a lot of money in other upgrades it might be cheaper/easier to just sell your truck and buy another one that already has fuel injection. It's a lot of money to do this and if you can't do the work yourself it will be even more money.

9. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Just a thought, i ran across a website doin stroker kits, 383 and 305 kits. It says it will add, 95 hp for a carb an 115 for Fuel Injection. Those numbers are for the 305 kit. 383 would be a mad crazy motor to have, but would chime in around 4500+ for quality.

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I got lucky and spent around $450-500 getting mine to run, I would do it all over again too

11. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Ok, just found out some info. I picked up this Blazer for next to nothing from a friend of mine. I had no clue about anything about it. The options sticker under the hood states it is a 5.0, 305 engine. However, I just spoke to my friend and says the previous owner swpped in a 350 from Checker Auto Parts. I have yet to start the Blazer since I cannot get a spark.