Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BENIFITS of poly mounts??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UNCLE CRACKER, Apr 16, 2002.

1. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

what are the benifits of the poly mounts versus the rubber ones?

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Poly is "stiffer", and will outlive the rubber mounts... Check out what Energy Suspension has to say:

http://www.energysuspension.com/perf.html

Buy the poly stuff... you won't be disappointed! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

-Dan

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

not to mention sometimes rubber oem stuff is more expensive than energy stuff
    mike

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd NEVER remove rubber bushings and not put poly in its place. When you see what the rubber ones look like after you pull it apart, you'll understand.

5. UNCLE CRACKER

my main concern is are they to stiff for the boby will it cause the body to crack.the reason i say that is because the rubber will compress and strech a little and the poly will not.im wondering because the frame flexes so much on chevys

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

True rubber flexes more than poly, but "new" rubber mounts are pretty stiff (they just lose their stiffness over time as they break-down). Poly stuff doesn't lose as much stiffness over time so it stays harder. Granted the frame does flex quite a bit on GM's (which is great for crawling). I have seen people put solid (as in steel with NO rubber mounts) on and not do any damage to the body (as long as the mounts in the body were in good shape to begin with). I have seen others who put body lifts on with new rubber mounts and with the added leverage on the rubber mounts have had problems (such as the bed hitting the cab on pickups). I'm not going to make a blanket statement and say everyone in every application should use poly instead of rubber, but in most cases it is the better way to go (lasts longer, resists gas/oil/grease/salt/etc, and won't sag).

7. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I had the same concern as you before I bought my body mounts. Even though I haven't driven it yet, I do have them installed & was suprised to find that the poly bushings don't feel much stiffer than rubber ones. They're actually pretty soft. I could squish them a little with my fingers & they really squat out easily when you tighten the bolts on them.

I'd say a definite YES to the poly! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

more than likely, tying the body to the frame (poly does this better since it doesn't "give" as much) is a better idea than letting the frame move as it wants. If you take the frames strength, and add the bodies strength to it, you *might* end up with a nice strong package. I know the frame is pretty flimsy, but having rubber mounts makes it worse if the body is able to tie it together.

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Since I just changed the original rubber ones to Poly's I've noticed a difference. The Poly's don't give as much,and I don't have much of a body roll when turning corners. A set of the stock rubber bushings (from LMC) are $200 for a set. While the Poly's from Summit only cost me $84 with shipping.

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Since this thread is getting a good amount of hits, where's the cheapest place to buy poly's at, someone somewhere posted that the ES wasn't quite as good to buy as the other brand (sorry I just woke up and can't remember that one)
    thanks guys

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Alot of people are running the Daystar bushings. The cheapest place I found for the Energy Suspension bushings was www.summitracing.com they were $76.99 with shipping it was $84 sumthing. I got a quote for $92 without shipping forthe Daystar bushings from www.rockymountainsusp.com

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I believe they vary the 'stiffness' of the poly to suit the application.
    i recall suspension bushing with 88 durometer or something along those lines
    for tranny mounts the poly is better then rubber due to being impervious to oil

13. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I got my Daystar kit from Stephen Watson at OffRoad Design. $90 or something like that.

My engine/tranny mounts are from Energy suspension
    The ES 3-1129 tranny mount fits the NP241 & I used the 3-1116 engine mounts. Reason I listed these two numbers is that a while back, folks were wondering which ones fit our application. I know Energy Suspension tech line could NOT tell me /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif & I can't remember if it got resolved here on CK5 or not.

14. UNCLE CRACKER

thanks everyone i got my Energy suspension poly body mount kit yesterday.i got a real good deal on it $52.00.i put the kit in and it raised my truck a 1/2 inch which seems funny cause i replaced the rubber body mounts last year and they already were sagged out.I drove the truck and it seems like alot of the sway is gone when i go around corners.Im glad i bought the kit it seems to be a grest product and i am very happy with them. Now i need to call ORD and get a 1inch body lift and get rid of my 2inch.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Where you got them for that price, is it a store? Maybe pickup ones are cheaper than K5's, but that seems an absolute steal!

16. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear that you went to the bank with everyone's advise! I can't wait to drive my truck again - I just installed a new poly set on my truck last weekend... but decided to do the 400 to 465 swap at the same time! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif So the truck is still down for now...

Glad to see another happy member! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

17. UNCLE CRACKER

hey dyeager535 I got the mounts at central 4wheel drive he gave me a great deal on them they were $82.00 and some change and i got them for $52.00.i know the guy that works there so that is why i got such a good deal.