Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bent axle housing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Doug M, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

Can a frame shop straighten a bent axle housing. Camber is off. Ive heard of possible corrections for this at the ball joints but is there also a spacer that can go between the steering knuckle and the spindle?

2. You could probably pick up a 10bolt from a junkyard cheaper than you could to repair the one you have.

3. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

There is a shim that can be installed between the spindle & knuckle. You should be able to get them at any good front end shop. I thought they were approx $20 ea. I did this a few years ago after moving a retaining wall with my truck & tweaking the axle a few degrees. Not sure of the limit of correction with these, but mine was noticeably leaning & this corrected it. As stated a frame shop can "un-bend" it, but it is major $$. Have an alignment shop check it & tell you the amount it is off & you can install the shim yourself. Then have the shop align the toe setting.
    Lonnie

4. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

Your replies are appreciated. I've lived with this pulling for the last 45k miles but it sure would be nice to not have to fight it all the time.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

One thing to remember here, if the housing is indeed bent, you don't want to just shim it, because the shaft would be rubing on the seals and soon you would have leaks.
    Eithe swap housings, or get another axle complete from the junk yard.
    Or maybe it's an excuse to upgrade to heavier axles.
    If you already have invested in parts in this one, get a housing and swap everything from this one.

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

might take to a big rig alignment shop. Buddy works at one and they bend the axles on semis to actually align them and said he could probably straighten one when a frined of ours had that problem.

7. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I would just replace it if I was you. My rear 14bff is bent and it leaks pretty bad. It doesn't bother me driving it and it hasn't hurt the bearing but I can't keep the seal from leaking.