Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bent Axle

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JTB, Nov 8, 2001.

1. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I noticed that my wheels were sitting at a slight angle. My axle housing appears to be a little bent. I plan on straightening it out with a bottle jack and and chain and then trussing it (it is a 12 bolt). How do I measure straightness? Do I need to build a jig or is there some easier way? I don't think that eyeballing it is sufficient. Any ideas?
    Jeff

2. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Re: Bant Axle

Why don't you send a PM to DepDog. He bent his 12 bolt a while back, I don't remember what he used to straighten it, But he also put a bad arse truss on it. You could get some ideas from him I'm sure.

I am the hunter Who live's in the darkness, And grows through your fears...... And you are the hunted.

3. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Re: Bant Axle

I will send DepDog a PM, thanks 82GMC
    Jeff

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

If you've decambered or cambered your axle, you can simply straighten it and measure the camber at the wheels with an angle finder (if you're on a flat, level surface) to ensure you got the tires vertical. You'll then need to make some toe measurements to ensure you won't be feathering the tires. Use a couple of paint cans and a long 2x4 (place the 2x4 on top of the paint cans - the paint cans are there to get the 2x4 above the tire bulge).

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Or if you've got connections just replace the axle, whole lot easier I would think ,and 12 bolts are real common. Then there is no question if you got it right or not

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I had a 12 bolt that was bent pretty badly to the point it was leaking alot out of the housing where the tubes go in.i got a ConFerr super skid axle truss and put that on.I then put a floor jack under the middle,jacked it up til the tires were off the ground, and cranked down the nuts on each end.It stayed straight after that.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>