Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bent Core Support, need ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was out wheeling last weekend and I slid off a rock. My driver side front fender landed on a rock it peeled back into my door. I thought at first I just broke the skin loose and could just pry it back in place and be done. Upon further inspection tonight I realized I bent my core support up and back. It bent from the body mount out. Nothing major, but a decent tweeking.

The hood is noticable higher on one side and the fender is rubbing my door near at the top of the fender. Any ideas on how to pull it back out and get it bent back down any?

I was thinking I could probably hook a come-a-long up to the rad support and pull it out, but how do I bend it back down? I was hoping to here some good ideas. Thanks

harley

2. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Buy my used core support of a 1985 K10 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Harley,
    Look at the body mount right under the radiator. It should show a noticable bend in that spot. There are two tricks, one is heating it up (I don't really like that one) and two is cutting a slice in the bottom and forcing it into position, then welding a support plate over it. (I bet you knew I would say that) It really depends on how severe it is. If you need a hand let me know I owe you for your time helping with the bumper.

4. Hossbaby50

ya, I might have to let you know. I might need some CEE on this one to get everything in place. I know I am going to need some CEE so it doesn't happen again. Its armor time.

Harley

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Harley,
    Could ya pull it back to perpendicular and down at the same time? I've done up and perpendicular and up at the same time before on a different idea. Just a thought. Good luck to ya.

Allan

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I told you that you would want armor /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I got the dimension print off of warn.com today, your winch is friggin huge. But I can make it work. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Let me know.

PS how is that welding class, should I expect you to show me up, or better yet, teach me some tricks? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Hossbaby50

No welding yet, just lecture. Welding starts middle Febuary.

My winch is pretty big. If you need to I can pull my winch off my truck and leave the current cradle with you. I cut the remaining parts of the bumper off tonight so it is just winch and cradle.

I also got my boss to give me a bunch of steel today so I scored some sweet pieces we might be able to use in my bumper construction. here is what I scored tht I can remember (rough measurements)

1x1x square tube 1/4"
    1.5x1.5 angle 3/8"
    4" flat strap 3/16"
    1.5x4x1.5 C channel 3/16"
    4x4 angle 1/4"

and some other fun stuff. I have been tossing around a few ideas I will have to talk about with you.

Harley

8. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

buy 1 i got for 40.00 complete in good shape
    or
    for the tweek down i recomend ya find a parking lot with the concrete front wheels stops and hook your come along or chain to that to pull it down and back via come along or just reverse
    well that my $.02
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    R

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Just find something you can hook to on the ground. I've used chains set in a concrete slab. Chain down the end of the core support, may require welding a tab or something to hold to, or rigging some kind of clamp that can hold it without crushing it. Then jack it up at the mount. It might be possible to do this by only removing the inner fender and driving onto a piece of heavy channel (or square tube) to tie down to (use the truck against itself). The specifics vary, but that’s the basic approach.