Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bent drag link with x-over.... or not.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by az-k5, Feb 29, 2004.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Well that pretty much is my question. I am just wondering pros and cons of each. Specs are as follows.
    1979 K5 with a Dodge D60, 4" BDS springs, longer shackles, and 37" MTR's. I am not afraid to cut the x-member. I plan on going up to 40's this summer with a zero rate moving the axle 1" foward and hydro so those mods need to be considered also. The main concern for a strait drag link is the wear on the ends, but I don't like the idea of a bend in my link either cause it seems to be a stress riser. I just need a little input also.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Thank you /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

PS. Is there a strength difference in the king pin load design between these two??
    [​IMG] and big picture so clicky please.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a bent drag link will allow for a lot less bind.
    as for the shakerbuilt arm.. i dont like it. they need to have the counter sink holes i feel. keeps everything a bit more snug to the knuckle.
    grant

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Bent draglink. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I hae a bent drag link and it still hits the cross member. Not much but it hits. I plan on getting the MOO cross member if I ever get to replacing my engine. I do like the way it lines up though. With the drop, sitting still, the drag link is parallel with the tie rod.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You might want to PM Shaggy about his experience with Shakerbuilt arms before you spend your hard earned money...... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Fit and Finish on the ORD stuff is always first-rate. I think I own every product they make for my '72! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run an ORD steering arm and a bent draglink with 4 " lift. I like it. The only down side at all as far as I'm concerned is the inability to get the Steering wheel perfectly straight. At least I haven't been able to. Although I could probably get it closer by removing one end of the drag link and just turning it.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I'd go with a bent draglink, it won't hurt anything and will give some extra clearance.

The Shakerbilt crossover arms are a complete waste of money, 100% poorly designed and shoddily built garbage.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Two words.....

Sky Manufacturing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Yea Sky is NICE. I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Well built looking stuff

NIck

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yup. I'll have mine finished installing this weekend. Just have to get the new box on and draglink.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Okay, I have decided to go with an ORD arm and I am gonna bend my link. I hope an m-tech can handle 1.5" .250 wall...we'll see /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The Shakerbilt crossover arms are a complete waste of money, 100% poorly designed and shoddily built garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

shaggy could you PM me the details on this? I got the arms off ebay for the wagons hi steer.

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

forgot to add mines a 44 not a 60.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Two words.....

Sky Manufacturing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yeah! I'm pretty sure that I'm the one that introduced the Sky arms to CK5... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That's what I replaced the crappy Shaker one with, I never even installed it.

Jeremy, I ordered the Shaker arm and it came with the hole for the spring set off to the back of the arm a full 1/4". It wouldn't even physically bolt to the knuckle. Also, the angle that's cut in for the DRE is useless, since it only has an angle milled into it on one side, the top. The hole is drilled through perpendicular to the main body of the arm, not the angled part. So basically the angle is just for looks, it does nothing for function. Hard to explain, suffice to say that it's a crappy design unless he's changed it.

It's also a flame cut arm out of plate steel, and it's the same price that I paid for the full CNC'd Sky arm. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned