Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bent frame/anyone in WA??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Dec 20, 2000.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually was on the forum a while back, but just jumped back in. First off wondering if anyone else lived in WA? Always looking for people to trade parts with : )

Second, I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas than what I came up with to check for frame straightness. The truck (http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html) is cobbled together from trucks between 1974-1991. I bought the frame seperately from a guy who had just had it painted. Why someone would paint a known bent frame is the first reason I can think the problem is not the frame...but anyway, after putting a body on the frame, (body from a truck that was hit in the drivers fender) and running gear, and getting the truck to concrete, I noticed it sagging in the drivers rear. Measured the axle to frame clearance without shocks(only factor in height here is suspension)on both sides, 1/2" lower on the drivers side. It has 3/4 ton springs on it, which I bought without seeing them on a truck. They were my second suspect after bent frame. So I swapped them from one side to the other. Same problem, same side. I measured front axle on both sides, very little difference side to side, 1/8" or less. Frame has no visible dents, cracks, bulges, stretch marks, anything in the rear area.

Bumper lines up to body no problem, all body panels and doors fit/close fine. I called some frame shops, they all told me that it sounds more like a suspension problem.

Since the rearmost pieces that the rear springs hang off of (hangars?) might be off different vehicles, COULD they have different heights? Thats the only thing I haven't measured.

My idea is to jack the truck up (by the body, not frame) in the rear on flat concrete until the tires were off the ground, then level the bed with a bubble. Once that is established level, measure frame to ground clearance on both sides. Sound like it would work?

This perplexes me, because if it was frame, I would think I would have had a large gap in some of the body mounts, which I did not. They all bolted up solid, no problem. Even then, unless the body was bent (which it appears to not be, for 1/2" off, there should be some very obvious wrinkles or something I would think) the body SHOULD pull the frame straight. I know how flimsy the frame is, its the body thats the rigid piece.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to get all the facts out I could. I think in all my measurements and such, I have eliminated all suspect areas, except spring hangars and frame! thanks for any ideas!

Dorian

2. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Raymond, WA here
    25 miles from aberdeen
    50 miles from chehalis
    55 miles from astoria

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

3. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

yakima wa(south central wa) bout 1 hour from naches trails

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the body mounts? If one of them is shot, then it would lean a lot to one side.

90K5

5. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Curtis Wa here !!!

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Not WA, but OR........Gresham to be exact. Right outside Portland. Spend a good bit of time down at Ocean Park/Oysterville (near Long Beach).

Lots of folks on here from the Pacific NW, from BC to Southern Oregon.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: anyone in WA??

Anyone from the NW that goes to the wrecking yards a bunch, and checks on K5's being parted out, let me know, I got somethings I'm looking for : ) And the same goes for everyone else..I don't get to the 'yards as much as I would like anymore, but I do go once in awhile!

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds links: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>