Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bent frame what to do???? pls help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rusty79, May 10, 2002.

1. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

i have been away for awile and not able to post or work on my k5 so this may be a little long and ill try and explain the best i can, i have been fighting with my truck trying to get a new engine in it and have been unable to get it to fit it would always sit angled when i dropped it in i have never had this much of a problem dropping in a new motor i finally found the reason why yesterday as i was laying under the truck and screaming and cursing i noticed the the (forgive my terminology) section of the frame on the passenger side where the engine mount bolts towards the bottom(it is supposed to be a nice straight 45 degree angle) is curved up and is throwing the mount up so the other side of the engine is sitting low and off center what is the best/cheapest way to fix this if it is possible to do at home i am now unemployed and have an extremely low budget any suggestion would be much appreciated thank you very much
    Dave

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i know if i had a frame laying around you could have it. frame shops take a lot of cash. i would think the best bet is a frame from a junk yard. maybe even a one ton from. i know money is tight. i know how it is. i hope you can get another way. but that is how i see it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    grant

3. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

Look at the front of the frame for collision damage to get a better idea as to how it got bent .Once you determin how the frame was bent then you could try to reverse the bend .Most likely if it was'nt a front end smack it could've been caused by a a hard bottoming out If it was hit hard in the front then you most likely have more damage further into the frame witch no matter what you do it will never drive true again .But if it was pushed upwards then it can be fixed .Most good frame shops will give you a break if you bring in the truck frame exposed(no hood fenders engine-etc)It cuts back on costly $80 pr hr labor so you save big Once you get it that point it's a matter of towing it in and out It should not be more than a 3 hr job to repair So even at $300 it's still cheaper than finding a donor frame and countless hours of work.Cause we all know that swapping frames just is'nt that easy..........Good luck and let us know how it turns out.......................

4. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

thanks guys i know how it got bent and prolly should have included it in the original post i bought the truck with a blown motor when pulling it out my friend was supposed to pull the motor mount pin on the passenger side and long story short he didnt get it all the way out and when we hoisted on the motor and him saying its clear frame got bent its not the actual frame rail the section im refering to looks like it is maybe riveted in and unfortunatly donor frames are impossible around here every boneyard i call laughs at me when i ask for parts that old unless somone from the hampton roads area knows where something is???

5. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

can i just smack it back into place with a BFH or would i have to take it to a frame shop it is bent up where your lower engine mount sits

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would probably try to use a come along and winch it back into place. Find something that you could hook the come along to that is relatively low and then go from under the truck and hook it to the mount and start pulling it back into position.

7. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

thanks ill give that a try just got pull the motor back out first

8. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

I paid 500 to get my frame fixed and mine was bent bad just check out my pictures