Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bent front fuel line

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. When I pulled my carb about 2 weeks ago, I bent the front hard fuel line that runs up the front of the block to the carb. I put the wrench on the line nut at the carb and without thinking, turned it. Both nuts and the fuel line moved, putting a nice twist in the fuel line. I did it right the second time and got it off, but when I bolted it back up Thurs nite, it was leaking pretty good.

So yesterday I checked the fuel line from my 74 hoping to steal it as a quick fix, but I'm weary of that line. The carb was replaced and I guess the line didn't bolt up anymore, so they cut out a section of the hard line and just put in a piece of rubber line near the carb with hose clamps on each end.

So how should I properly replace the fuel line? I really don't want to dump a bunch of money in to little tube benders since I just rebuilt the top end, but if that's the "right" option, then so be it. Can I buy a pre-bent fuel line to replace it? It's the stock Quadrajet.

Thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Should be able to get that part from GM. There might be a part number floating around on this board from a previous post.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You can buy pre made straight lines at any auto parts store. Just measure the length and get as close as possible. Benders are cheep (under $10) but if you don't want to fork that over you can just do it by hand (the stuff bends real easy). Just use a can to bend the line around so you don't kink it.

4. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

lmc has them for 25.00.but the dealer might still have them not sure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I'll stop at the dealer today to see if they can get it. If not, I'll see how quickly LMC can get it to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks guys. I'll stop at the dealer today to see if they can get it. If not, I'll see how quickly LMC can get it to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just replaced it with rubber myself.
    Rubber doesn't heat up like metal that also cured my vapor lock problems.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Rubber is the way to go, just cut out the bent part.

8. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Rubber is the way to go, just cut out the bent part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it "special rubber fuel line" or can I get it from the big vacuum (/fuel line??) hose dispenser at the auto parts store? If it is special stuff, where can I get it from. I assume it's going to cheaper than the $25 hard line so I'll go the hose route at least for now.

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You just have to get hose that is rated as fuel line. They will have what you need at the parts store. Take part of your old hard line with you to make sure you get the right diameter hose to fit tightly over the hard line.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Rubber is the way to go

[/ QUOTE ]

After having an engine compartment fire (tranny fluid burns real well on headers) I am glad I had a steel line in there. IMO steel is the only way to go for pressurized lines (after the pump).

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    After having an engine compartment fire

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is exactly why GM didn't use it. It certainly didn't save them money.

To be fair, plenty of people have no problems running rubber line, but if you are fastidious about inspections and changing it as preventive maintenance, then you have no problems.

If you like stuff to work for 30 years without you even looking at it, go steel.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i just got the appropriate hardware to put hose-clamp-able fittings on the fuel pump and on my in-line fuel filter and used "rubber" hose that is gas-approved...works for me.

j