Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bent Rim, or Axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UD0MEILLD0U, Jan 1, 2006.

1. UD0MEILLD0U

UD0MEILLD0U Registered Member

I have a half to one inch side to side wobble in my driver rear tire. The specs are 39.5 IROKS on M/T 15X14 6 lug mounted to a 12 bolt. I can say it is not the tire for sure because if u spin the tire you can see the rim come in n out with the wobble. Any tricks for finding out for sure would be great.

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

put a different tire/wheel on it and spin. If the wobble is still there, it ain't the wheel, unless you have 2 bent ones.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

uh, watch the center of the wheel rather than the outside.

you have a 13.5" tire on a 14" wide wheel.:eek1:

i'm betting on a bent axle due to the stupid wide wheels.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Look at the other rear tire does it do the same? Do a tire rotation and look at both sides again if you have the same thing as befor it's a bent axle if it changes side then the rim is bent

5. UD0MEILLD0U

Good Ideas

I'll try those today. It would suprise me if it is a bent axle due to the tire/rim combo. I was running 40X18 mickies b-4 with no problems.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

chicks at the mall dig it?

are those tires a bitch to keep seated on the rim IF you ever leave the pavement? the rims are a full 4" wider than recomended, and are 1/2" wider than the tire itself. not good for keeping your beads seated.

7. UD0MEILLD0U

I had a whole chapter of comments in responce to yours but I think I'll leave it at this... Nothing u said in your post had ANYTHING to do with my problem. Your pavement pounder assumptions about my truck are your (VERY SAD) opinion. I am sorry you feel that way. Next time your near Gainesville let me know! We'll go play, and dont worry I have a HUGE tow rope so I'll getya out! =). Oh, and a buddy of mine has a tire shop so I'll be able to REseat your bead's for ya! :D

8. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

so.... what kind of tire pressure are you running then? I just went from 10 inch rims to 8.5 because I was blowing beads left right. He has a valid assumption. but then again if all you ride around on is sandy loose stuff with your tires at 25psi then it sounds fine. not many rocks in fla.

gabe

9. Grammer Police

Grammer Police Newbie

"responce"- whoot whoot whoot grammer police on the prowl.... you betta spell check yoself fool

gp

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Swapping wheels will show what the problem is. Remove the wheel and spin the axle and watch the drum. Mabey bent hub/bearing. If you are running a FF axle you can remove the shaft.

BTW I agree with you on Beaters comments. A person looking for help with that kind of problem is frustrated enough, without listening to some jacka$$ add his useless 2 cents.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

oh, not an internet callout. :surepal:

ok.... you have a 1/2 ton rear axle, an axle that is known to break with tires 5" shorter than yours. then you're running wheels that are entirely too wide for anything useful. in order for those wheels to maintain proper loading on the bearings in the axle, they would need to have at least 6" of backspacing, which will not work anyways due to clearance issues. so you've taken a weak axle, and made it weaker by probably doubling the load on the outer bearings and the end of the axle shaft. due to the increased leverage on the axle shaft, that's probably what you broke.

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Here, Here:D

Ira

13. UD0MEILLD0U

ok....

First off thanks Leper. 2nd gabe.. 15 pounds and no rocks but ALOT of cypress stumps and down trees in the swamps. My side mirrors are 6 feet off the ground and they have been completely underwater in the swamp :wink1: ! Now beater, your knowledge was never in question. You made comments to the effect that my truck was a pavement pounder. You completely ASSUMED using your EXTREMELY vast knowledge of all things K :bow: that my truck cant play :( . If I wanted your opinion on how I should setup my truck I would have started a diff thread! I asked for axle help and after making 1 usefull comment you made another 1 that was useless. If that is how your posting works (1 good comment and 1 bad) than do me a favor and just steer away from that submit button on my threads . Thanks!! OH and beater thanks, your FIRST post helped and I do have a bent axle according to my centercap. :D