Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bent rim

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Jan 3, 2006.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is this easily fixable? It isn't leaking at all, but I don't like it. Can I just take the tire of the rim, and hammer that lip back?

110_1036.JPG

110_1037.JPG

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Depending how bad it is. It looks like that's a steel rim, if this is so yes you can pound it out. But you may crack or loosen your chrome around that area. If you put a large piece of leather down and then place the rim face down you can hammer it out. Don't forget to clean up the inside edge where the bead sits befor you re-mount the tire. Other options are use it as a spare. Make it into a bead lock rim, use as a spare, replace... Hope this helps.... If it's alum. you may want to check around your area about repairing it. Sometime they both will crack....

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah it's a steel wheel, and it will probably become my spare in due time, but for right now I would just like to straighten it. I know the chrome will probably flake off because it's kinda cracked already.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

GFI then!

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A large adjustable wrench can be used to bend it back nicely without mucking it it much.(once the tire is off)...tire shops,and "Ken-tool" brand tools also have a special wide wrench made for exactly that purpose,and it works much easier and better than a big hammer..