Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bent two of the studs used to attach steering arm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I ended up bending two of the studs used to attach the steering arm on a Dana 44 when I was removing a very, very stubborn steering arm.

Am i correct in assuming I can just double up two nuts and remove the old studs for replacement?

Will a normal parts store have replacment studs or will I need to get them somewhere else?

Thanks

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Double nuts got mine out. I don't know exactly where to get them. Online, junkyard, ....

Harley

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

you can order the stud kit through sky with conical washers
    if your not reusing the studs dig out the plumbing wrench and back the studs out that way, I've had to do it SEVERAL times! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm glad you're not considering reusing them. Try vise-grips, pipe wrench or double nut to get them out. I would take the one that is in the best shape when you get it out to a specialty fastener store. In my area, we have Fastenall. Or you can order new ones from GM. My advice is to get higher strenght ones from somewhere like ARP. Also remember that it is not the shear strength of the studs that holds the arm on. It is the friction between the arm and knuckle. That said, make sure the mating surfaces are very clean. I would use a wire wheel before installing the new studs. I would also clean out the holes and locktite the new studs.

5. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

i got my studs from a chevy dealer(my work). /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Most of the 4x4 shops in my area use 9/16 sae grade 8 bolts instead of studs,I have them on my 74 K20 for many years with no problem,I tried getting studs from the dealer but didnt want to wait a week,when I called around the 4x4 shops they all said they use the bolts when installing a new steering arm for a lift kit,I was removing a lift kit and a big homemade block under the steering arm.I dont do much off roading with it,but it gets a lot of abuse plowing. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. 79Beast, I figured the bent studs could be straightened, but I agree that wouldn't be the safest route.