Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Berb Body Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhound72, Mar 13, 2006.

1. mudhound72

mudhound72 1/2 ton status

Today I drove by a used car dealer and saw a 88 Berb 4wd for sale nice and clean inside not to much in the line of rust eather, it is also a converson set up with the nice seats and the raised roof. Sharp truck, it got me thinking my tow berb needs some body TLC, so my thought it how big of a pain in the a$$ is it to swap berb bodys

Also I want to keep my tow rig 2WD and I am also making it a dully, just need to swap some tires and rims around and messure for flaires, I am going for the bling factor with 500ci under the hood :D

2. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I did a body swap not to long ago on a Toyota.

The biggest problem I found was lifting and moving the bodies and frames. I built two huge A frames and used 4 chain hoists. I also had a trailer ready to place the bad body on so that I could move it around.

I do not suppose that the Sub would be really different, but do your homework first. Take the time to look at things like Auto vs Stick, 2wd vs 4wd (you have already stated this difference) e brake cables, brake lines, electrical, etc etc.

The thing I have always liked about Chev and Toy is that lots of different years have similar components. For instance I put a 95 4 Runner body on a 85 Frame and it was actually a breeze, the body mounts only required 4 custom length body pucks to fill in the gaps. I could have moved the mounts on the frames... but it was a difference of 3/8" on two of them and 2 3/4" on the other. I know the 2.75" is a little long, but with all the others being short still it was just simpler.

My point is that I don't think it's rocket surgery. Just take your time, do your homework, and invite friends for the muscle factor.

Oh and BE PATIENT. Don't get sawzall and torch happy.

Good luck, take pics, and post them.

3. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

Go here and see a Burb body swap done. It is my brothers truck.(KingSuburban..Hes a member on here too) It took us a 3 day weekend to do it. www.burben.com Any questions feel free to ask. We did it in the driveway with a floor jack. Click the Transformation of Burben 2002 link and you will see all the pics.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Check out my webshots (link in my sig) I did a burb body swap a couple yrs ago :thumb:

5. KingSuburban

KingSuburban Registered Member

It was easiest for me to just cut the old body off. I used pallets and a floor jack to lift the body up and lower it back onto the frame. It worked very well for us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mudhound72

mudhound72 1/2 ton status

Looks like something I can handle, it justs depends on how things go with getting a house I am looking at

7. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

You forgot the 50 or so pallets and 6X6's you happened to have laying around.:wink1: :wink1: :wink1:

8. KingSuburban

KingSuburban Registered Member

There were actually only 40 pallets I borrowed from work the 6x6's are nice to have once I spent the $$ up front. It is always good to have those around...

9. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

Details Details!! I figured you would get the idea when you looked at it.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

How big a PITA was that from a plumbing/wiring standpoint? I am now entertaining the idea but want the A/C, heat and electrical to work.

11. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yeah thats one big reason(a/c) that I am going to be doing a crew cab swap on my cucv this christmas break........

Remington

12. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

body swaps are not that bad, that blazer body i picked up from you only took me a few hours to put on the new body, the only thing that you might have to worry about is the front end differences becasue your burb is the older style the front part of the frame will be different