Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best 110 welder?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SubYuman, Dec 29, 2005.

1. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

I want to do a little welding and I have seen some that go up to 1/4" although I suppose I'd be using more like 1/8-3/16". Can anyone give me any ideas as to something that will work and be relatively cheap?!?
    ARC, MIG or Flux core wire.....

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Lincoln 135

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a miller 135 and its done its duty for the light stuff. If your welding outside all the time you may want flux core, but that produces a lot of splatter which isn't eye candy. If you can penny up, using gas will produce better looking welds, and penetrate better??
    ARC is hard on thinner stuff, and harder *at least for me* to control. MIG is best as it is fast and is easy to learn.

home depot should have a lincoln welder to suit your needs as I hear.
    good luck

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I used to have Hobary 135, worked great for me. Exact same as Miller 135, without variable adjustment, just 1,2,3,4 positions.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

well look who just graduated from noob academy...:laugh: Thats some real good informative stuff Steve, now bitch slap that mofo for teching the lounge...:haha: :bow: ;)

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

110V ARC welder...Haaaaa!!

I had a 50 amp 110V ARC welder once..a "Montgomery-Ward"!..it was a joke,unless you used their special rods,you could hardly strike and maintain an arc with it..I suffered putting floors in my 72 K5 with it,then sold it for 20 bucks at the swap meet I sometimes sold stuff at..I paid 50,felt like it was worth 10....:rolleyes: ..

I've had 200V arc welders since,money WELL spent..you can crank most 220V arc welders down to 20-40 amps and actually weld with them,whereas the 110V ones usually just have an "on-off" switch,and cant burn thru a paper bag..so waste NO money on a 110v ARC welder..MIG welder,ehhhh..if your welding 3/16" or less..don't believe the ones that say they'll do 5/16" or 3/8" in one pass on 110V Migs.they lie!:crazy:

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

x2 :thumb:

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

miller 135 or hobart brother units are good . i have hobart unit.

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Clark Weld 130EN with argon, does a good job.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah if you want a cheap good welder for home use get a Clarke. About $150 less than a Lincoln and works just about as good on steel IMO
    I have both a Lincoln SP135 and Clark 130 with gas really dont see a lot of diference between the two.
    Both will weld up to 1/4" steel no problem.
    Lincoln is a little better qualiy but not $150+ worth. It also has longer leads and will weld aluminium better. Cuz it feeds wire a little better. The Clarke takes a little playing with the spring tension to feed alu wire. But a MIG aint the best thing to weld Alu anyhow.
    My Clarke is about 10 years old and still works good.
    Clarke WeldersYou can get one cheaper without a gas regulator but I like to use gas when Mig welding if i can. Welds are cleaner and it is easier to weld thick stuff.
    But
    Inersheild wire works good and is pretty much squeeze the trigger and weld.
    I am not saying that Clarke the best by any means. There are better 110V welders. But if you are on a budget. For basic home use they will work nicely.

11. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

12. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I am also very intrested in this. I am going to need to do alot of body work to my blazer and the ol Buzz Box may not be up to that task LOL..

13. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Im in a welding class, and am 99% sure i just learned that Flux core penetrates better.

14. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

stay away from century welders all together... i made the mistake of buying a g?125 which sucks my left nut till it turns blue... the material has to be spotless and clean to get any good weld... if you have any, i mean any crap there will be a difficult time welding purty, if it holds...this was not a prob when i was using a miller 175.... and i know proper welding techniques with the mig.... now only if i could master gas welding and brazing....

15. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I just talked to the guy at the welding store last week and he told me the difference betweent he Lincoln 135 and the Millermatic are basically that one is red and one is blue. The Lincoln in the kit form Home Depot is NOT a 135. Also, according to the dude at the welding shop, shame on me if I ever try ot weld anything safety related (tow hitch, cage, bumber) with ANY 110 welder. He said that they simply cannot produce the heat necesary for full penetration. I am just relaying the informaiton adn have no opinion ont eh matter....don't know enough to have an opinion. However, if I can figure out how to get 220 to the garage I'm gettign the Lincol 215.

16. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Is the garage attached or are you gonna have to run a line?

If you have to run a line, i would say get a heavy gauge cable either burried or get your power company to run an ariel line to the garage from the house. Then put a sub panel in the garage to run the outlets and a new welder plug.