Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best 3 1/2's?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Confederate9, May 17, 2002.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

best 3 1/2\'s?

ok i have a 4x52 watt radio and i keep blowin out my 3 1/2's
    2 in 2 years that is. and the 3 1/2s are 35w but i cant find any of higher watts
    is that whats causeing them to blow?
    where can i get some get some for a good price.
    thanks for the info

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Re: best 3 1/2\'s?

I've got some Rockford Fosgate 3.5's that are rated at 45w, and have seen some Kenwoods and Alpines rated at 55w. My RF's cost about 50 bones...around here (Nebraska) the Kenwoods and Alpines are getting around 60 or so. Try here- www.thezeb.com I hooked up with an amp and my Q-Logic panels from there...stuff is usually the cheapest around. HTH

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I had some JBL's I really liked the sound of.

4. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

Try a pair of Memphis Audio's. I audtioned them at the local radio shop, and the sales guy abused these suckers and they didnt give out. They also sound better than a lot of larger speakers and dont distort easy. They're about $60 a pair I beleive.

5. Mav2u

Mav2u 1/2 ton status

I have had my JBL 3 1/2's in the dash now for 3 years. Paid about 60 bucks back then for these sweet little buggers. I have a Fosgate amp pushing 25 watts each with good solid pure power and they love it. Big thing is making sure you get a crossover that cuts the speakers off at 125 hz and at least 12 to 18db on that filter. It'll keep them producing the frequencies they were made for and help them last hopefully alot longer for you with out blowing them out.

6. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

First of all,you'll be closer the truth if you divide that 52 watts with four.Some technical magazine once measured true power from radios amplifier,and highest watt was something like 13,5 or so.
    If you have volume turned allmost to max,sound starts to distort,and that causes the speakers to give up.
    I would use separate amplifier and some quality speakers,like <a target="_blank" href=http://koti.mbnet.fi/~ilmojk/2_3-tiekaiuttimet/VB3_2.JPG>these</a> 3 ½" what I'm going to use.

7. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey
    If you are cranking that deck up to the full volume then you are killing those speakers because you are probably feeding them distorted power. Any time you take a small amplifier like the ones in a deck radio they will be pushed to their max before you reach the loudest setting. So the best thing to do is either keep it down, but no one wants to do that. Or you can get a good pair of speakers and an amp and power it that way. Doing this will give you a better sound in the upper range and if you limit the amp correctly you could avoid blowing out another pair of speakers.