Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best 33" tire/wheel combo with 3" lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rob K, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Rob K

Rob K Newbie

Best 33\" tire/wheel combo with 3\" lift

OK, I've got the fever and I'm going to start making mods to by 76 Blazer (350ci-4spd-3.07 gears). I've read a lot on this forum and used the search feature, but I still need some clarity.
    This is my daily driver and its spends 90% of the time on the street, so I think 33" tires should be fine for now. I plan on getting a 2.5-3" lift (new springs both front and rear) to make them fit. Here are my questions:
    1. What manufacturer makes a good 2.5-3" lift? Does anyone make a 2.5-3" lift that is "expandable" to a 4" lift if I decide I want 35" tires later?
    2. What width do I want to get in 33" tires (10.5, 11.5 or 12.5") with the 2.5-3" lift?
    3. What's the best 15" wheel size to go with the above combo: 15x8 or 15x10? Will going with the wider wheel reduce pavement drivablility noticeably?
    4. I know 33" tires are a big compromise, so I'd like to make up for it a little by getting the most agressive tires I can that are still safe in the rain (remember this is my daily driver). Do I want a mild mud tire or a very agressive AT tire? Recommendations?

Thanks all for the help. This is a great site and I plan on becomming a member.

Rob

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Best 33\" tire/wheel combo with 3\" lift

Seams like alot of people really like the Tough Country springs. I'd just get the 4" front springs and the ORD 4" Shackle Flip for the rear. 33's will be fine with that. If you decide to go with 35" tires, then it's just a matter of a little fender trimming or a body lift. Lots of choices for tires. 33" tires 15x10 rim will look wider but 15x8 rim will make tire taller. Personally I like wider. By the way, I also have a 76 K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Go with a mud tire. They won't be unsafe in the rain. They might not give you all the traction of an all-terrain, but they'll give you tons of traction in the mud where the all terrain would give you zero.

I personally drove my BFGs in everything but sand and have had good results with them. They don't offer the extreme goo-taming traction I desire, but they work well in the mud none the less.

4. Rob K

Rob K Newbie

OK, it looks like I'm going to run a 33" mud tire (probably BFG) on 15x10 wheels. I think I'll go with the Tuff Country 3" suspension too. Thanks.