Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best 35 spline hubs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chvyhs, Apr 18, 2004.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I tried searching already.

I just want to know which hubs are the best or the pros and cons of each before I buy mine.

It's for my Suburban on 42's with a D60 and a doubler.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'd say Warn premiums if you want locking hubs

I'd say those poly perfromance slugs if you just want drive flanges

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With 42's I would use slugs if I could. What locker do you have in the front axle? If you run an ARB I would run slugs for sure. 35 splines hubs are known to be kinda weak. But it could be a convenient weak link in the front axle. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Harley

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have the warns, have had no problem so far, but would do poly perf slugs if i had to do it all over.

im running the same drivetrain, but with about 1/3 the weight.

5. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I had stock GM drive flanges re-splined from 30 to 35 splines. I have not seen anyone break one of these flanges. I wouldn't consider using lockouts on my Jeep, but it's not used on the road. A friend with the same setup broke the steering u-joint and stub, but the flange was fine. It's up to you where you'd like to have your "fuse". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

IIRC fox broke a 35 spline warn hub took them back and got slugs. Breaking a 35 spline hub sucks. Driving a slugged and locked axle on the street sucks too. I think tera-flex (tera low) also makes a good 35 spline hub. Never seen one tested though.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I had a hard time deciding between the Warn Premiums and those poly-performance slugs! I ended up buying the Warn's just b/c I will be driving my K5 on the street quite a bit and I have a Detroit for the front. I did buy 2 sets though b/c in my mind, that is gonna be the weakpoint in my D60.

I have a buddy here in town that recently purchased a CNC machine for his shop and I may have him make me a slug for the warn lockouts out of some decent steel. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Not really sure yet. Once the D60 is together, I am gonna start saving up for a full set of Superior shafts at which point I think I will force myself to find an alternative to the Warn lock-outs

Chris

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Broaching out factory spicer hubs works pretty well, evidently they're pretty tough, and looking at the guts, they have the meat to get it done. I've broken ujoints with the warn hubs but I know they're not super beefy. Point is that they don't just fall apart on the trail, you do get some use out of them. With superior shafts, I don't know what to do for a hub, the only thing that would come close is a modified spicer. Maybe you just pull the gears for long trips? That could be a big pain but it's better than expensive hub fuses.
    I actually prefer the warn drive gears, I like the separate plate retention method better than bolting the cap to the gear. I think the warns would be a little easier to set up with the right spacers to keep the spindle seals pulled in tight.