Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best 35 spline shafts ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by great scott, Aug 2, 2004.

1. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

just broke another short side set of 35 spline d60 shafts and I'm ready for crome moly or somthing stronger. what do you like and were to get them.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have heard that Superior is the best chromo stuff around without stepping up to 300M. Superiors are available threw Offroad Design and others.

Harley

3. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Supieror makes the best production shaft. Their are better shafts but they are custom made by people like Sandy Cone and Surray eng.
    I currently have the Yukon shafts. They are not much more $$ then stock spicer parts and are stronger than stock. They are not in the same league as superior but for less than half the price I took the gamble. You may not have the luck I am with the Yukons.

Polly performance has good prices on the superior and most of your locall shops can get yukon from Randys R&P

4. great scott

just ran the #s on ord and the superior stuff, ouch. inner and outter add up to 625$

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Yah, the yukon inner and outer both sides and spicer Ujoints cost me about what one side of Superior would

6. Hossbaby50

Are you running the superior 1/2 ton stuff of D60 stuff?

If you are running the D44 or 10 bolt stuff does the inners neck down near the splines? Thanks

Harley

7. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

If that was directed at me I am running Yukon shafts in my Jeep. They are in a Ford HP60 with 35 spline outers and drive flanges. I have no breaks to date. I cannot say that I would have broken stock spicer stuff because I got my axle as a housing only and went Yukon from the get go since it is not much more than new Spicer parts.

8. great scott

As for me I am running the chev D60 35 spine stuff and I have broke 3 shafts and 1 hub. todays break came in 5 feet of mud as I was preping for a compition.

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    just ran the #s on ord and the superior stuff, ouch. inner and outter add up to 625$

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh and that still doesn't include new u-joints. superior shafts must be run with high quality joints like CTM's or OX and they run $150 each /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

10. great scott

so how do you like you yukon stuff and were did you get them.

11. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I got mine from a local shop Granite State Performance. Most of your local shops should be able to get you the Yukon stuff because it is distributed by Randy R&P and most get the gears their.
    I don't really have anything to compare the yukon stuff to because I didn't have any stock shafts in my housing when I picked it up. Like I said no problems yet on Swampas of the fourtie inch flavor with 5.13s welded. But it is in my jeep wich might weigh in at 3K. If it were in the burban I probably wouldn't have the same result but I can't say they would break.

12. Hossbaby50

The price I have seen lately on CTM's is $185 for D44 stuff and about $250 for D60 stuff. Ox are cheaper but most of the time you get what you pay for. Ox are good stuff, CTM's may be better.

Harley

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The Ox joints look real good from what I've seen, but they're not yet available for a Dana 60 AFIAK.

14. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As for me I am running the chev D60 35 spine stuff and I have broke 3 shafts and 1 hub. todays break came in 5 feet of mud as I was preping for a compition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you breaking new axles? What size tire are you running and what is the rest of the drivetrain?

I am wondering if you either have an assload of HP and/or huge tires or something is wrong with your 60 (bent tubes? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif). That seems to be a high failure rate in mud to me. I have seen stock Spicer stuff hold up to a lot of HP, big tires and serious rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Superiors are prolly the best "mass" produced chrome-moly axle shafts you can buy. Better still, Sandy Cone 300Ms. When I win the lottery, Sandy is going to be the 1st person I call. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

16. great scott

I am running 39.5 boggers, locked FF14B, locked D60 with 35 spline in and out, doubler, SM 465, and a 500 hp 454. this compition I am prepairing for has tug of war, rock garden and the mud bog. I have ran for practics all of these more then once and may have fractured the joints before I blew them in the mud. Also they blew when I had the wheel cranked and in revers.

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

You might look at this guys stuff too.

http://www.ouversonengineering.com

He makes some NICE alloy stuff. I've got his 14 bolt mini spool and love it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

NOTE: They are NOT cheap, but they ARE BEEF!!!

KP

18. great scott

that price for one or a kit? It dosent say.

19. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    that price for one or a kit? It dosent say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure you're looking at a kit price.

Call Randy, he's easy to talk with and he BY GAWD knows what he's doing. He's the owner and runs the stuff HE makes (yep, HE makes all the parts HIMSELF)

Cool guy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. great scott

left him a message. Thanks for the tip the pic looks nice.