Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best 4" lift for a DD?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grizz84, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Grizz84

Grizz84 Registered Member

Im working on gradually restoring the K5 and my stock springs are pretty bad. She's got the saggy butt syndrome by about 2" on level ground, and the front springs feel like there almost too stiff. I figured that if im going to spend money on springs, might as well put on a small lift and have room for 35's if i decide to not go back with 33's.

Im looking to get the softest riding 4" lift possible without too much driveline butchering, like going with longer springs and such. Im about 80% on road and 20% off, so im not looking for extreme articulation...just a really nice soft ride. She's not a crawler and most of my wheeling is on dirt trails with some mud. I thought about maybe a flip for the rear and some zero rates, but im not sure if its going to cure the rear sag or not. Whats the softest rate front 4" lift spring you guys can recommend to me?

BTW i know i COULD fit 35's on stock suspension, but seeing how my truck is in really really good condition without even the slightest hint of surface rust.....the sawzall isn't getting within 100 ft of my truck :D

I also have to keep price into perspective, so custom springs are out of the question. My funds are getting sucked out from the LS1 transplant.

2. black'burb

black'burb 1/2 ton status

3. Grizz84

Grizz84 Registered Member

Thanks, that helped me with the front. I wonder if they would be softer than the factory springs or not? I've never been able to figure out why my blazer seems to have more clearance with 33's on the front than any other stock blazer i've seen. Front pack is 3 leaves so i know theres no add-a-leafs in there. It just seemed like i had almost 2" more clearance than my buddies '79 had with the same tires....maybe his front spring were just wore slap out or something.

I was kind of thinking about just refurbishing my factory rear leafs and doing a shackle flip/zero rate. Pretty much all my pads are gone on the rear leafs and all 4 are pretty rusty. The bushings are deffinitely stock and with 94K miles on the odometer...im going to say they've seen there better days.

4. black'burb

black'burb 1/2 ton status

shackle flip is probably the best way to go. will keep the cost down as well. ORD makes a 2 1/2 flip that would go well. DIY also makes them. The flatter you can keep the springs the better they'll ride.....good luck

I'm gonna do the flip when I get everything together. gonna do the fuel pump while I've got the tank down as well.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

Bds!!!!

6. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I remember my first K5 that was completely stock... it wasn't. I think it had 2 inch lift springs on it. Stock front springs are reverse arch, so if yours look flat then they aren't stock.

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have the 4" Tuff Country EZ Ride 52" springs front and rear and they are beautiful! I mean its no Cadilac but they are nice as far as lift springs go. They are much softer than the Rancho suspention the PO had on it.