Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best 4x4 Magazine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wazzabie, Sep 22, 2005.

1. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've become ever so disapointed in the Peterson 4 whealer and Offroad magazine. I use to get 4x4 Power but I think Peterson bought them out. 4x4 Power had some really great how-to and tech articles. Peterson has become much more event reporting. I don't really care for the event reporting. What mag do you get? Now that payment is due I may just get a ColoradoK5 membership. Look at my signup date to this forum... back then everything was free I remember... maybe now is the time to finally be a member.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

....doesn't exist.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Here is my post from another thread

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

What version do you read, cause my 4WOR just had a buildup of a k10, coverage of Ultimate Adventure which included the k10 they built plus Wally (ORD Blazer/Buggy). I personally still find it to be an interesting mag to read with a fair amount of tech info. Its not always Chevy tech, but I read it all, doesn't hurt to know a few things about other rigs. Anywho, that my 2 cents.

5. wazzabie

Same mag. That yellow chevy build was cool. This was one of the better builds I read in months. Overall it just has to much stuff I don't read.. new equitment reviews not even related to 4x4's, events, new rigs, etc. I would really like to have a mag that is all tech... not just chev.. for older rigs. 4x4 Power which ended around 2000 was really good. I question why I renew 4WOR each year.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Buy videos...

i haven't read a new petersons since 2002. Most of the crap on there is becoming more about the end result than the process it took to get there.

The top truck challenge video is about the best 20 bucks you can spend tho...

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Buy a full membership here. No better place to read about K series trucks. I also have a membership at Pirate. i really don't read the mags anymore unless one just catches my attention.

8. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i read them both and buy the vids i like the event reporting and the little rig facts that go with it and their is some high buck rigs their but that seams to make it down to the back yard welders with some redesigning and some tractor parts :D i would like to see what it takes to do some of the real work dun but what can you wright about dam this thing is heavy and my bloody finger part

wow what i real want is the build up of a hard core trail rig like what Steve from ORD is fabing from Steve fox rig right now i would buy the 12 tape set and if you do not thing their is a market for it think EXTREME 4x4 / trucks TV

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

the best is which ever one YOU like the best, its personal preference. and i agree with bigorange, it doesen't exist.

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I Loved 4x4 power when it came out. But they got sucked up into the sucka** primedia world. I stopped my sub to petersons over 1.5years ago, they just happen to call the other day, "We got this great offer", yeah, thanks, but no thanks.
    I can't stand too when you sign up for a 2 year sub and start receiving "renew now" mailings, calls, covers 2 months into your sub. Just irks me.

11. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

12. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They can't be right for everyone. I think Petersen's does a pretty good job though. Sometimes I think they spend too much $$ and are totally unrealistic, then they go to the other extreme and show super beaters getting bashed up and held together with baling wire. If anything, I'd like more middle of the road stuff - spend some money, and still care about it when your done, don't smash it to pieces against rocks... but that's just me! I'll spend a few $K now and then on my trucks, but that's enough that I care about it when I'm done.

People used to complain about the trailer queens in the magazines with all the chrome shocks, now Petersen's has rebelled against that mostly, but a lot of the rigs they feature are trailer queens anyway since they can't get licensed and would shake apart above 40 MPH. Petersen's does appear to be the only one about vehicles that actually function on the trail. 4Wheeler appears to be into the chrome shock deal still, at least judging from the covers, I haven't read it in a while.

13. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

4x4 Power and 4WOR used to be owned by the same parent Petersen. Fourwheeler came out with a mag called fullsize 4x4 didn't last too long. Emap bought fourwheeler, then bought petersen which also had jp magazine. I guess that was too many for one company so they downsized to 3, now emap has sold to Primedia I believe, which is the publisher of off-road. by the way how many remember pu, van and 4x4?

14. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I get both 4wheeler & petersens, but just read them for entertainment. They spend all their time next to the toilet for "inspirational reading" :D

Mike

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I read them all occasionally , if I feel like buying one . I do have a sub to Petersons ( which is not owned by petersons anymore BTW ) . Petersons is my favorite by far .

You just have to remember they make them for a wider demographic than "US" . You will find little bits of coolness that can be copied onto our trucks if you look .

Besides with so many small block Jeeps , its really a Chevy mag anyway :wink1:

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't complain too much of 4WOR and Four Wheeler. They are about the only "better" mags on the market at the present time. This is, if you are into full size rigs. If you like Jeeps, there are other mags out there that are dedicated to 100% Jeep and those mags are awesome.

Now if you want to check out a magazine thats worse than 4WOR or Four Wheeler at its present state, go check out Off Road magazine. The past 2 years or so saw me letting my subscription run out and ignoring their calls and mail for new subscription renewals. They just flat out sucked big time as they are into the street truck scene with jacked up 2wd's and pre-runners.

I will continue to buy and read 4WOR and Four Wheeler as long as they don't go the route Off Road did. :thinking:

17. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I still get 4W&OR and Fourwheeler. Theres still some good stuff in them. Sometimes I see or hear about a new product here, before I see it there, and vice versa.

I have a pretty good pile of them in my locker at my fire station for when I'm bored, and don't feel like sitting at the computer or watching TV.

18. wazzabie

19. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

20. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah....all two issues.

Basically I give subscriptions as suggestions for gifts if I don't have any other ideas. The buildup of the K10 was kind of a joke. They claimed it to be a budget build, but went super expensive on some things, super cheap on others, and just plain stupid on a couple. I'll admit it's a great truck but the journalism and buildup goal was fair at best.

Overall, I'd put the money towards a membership here if you have a K truck, Pirate if you run something else.