Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best $50 I spent in a while!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Jun 10, 2000.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok I just had to tell some of you guys that are like me with older trucks. I run a shackle flip and as such I run a stock spring in the rear of my 75 but gain 4 inches of lift. Well I got talking to Dep about his truck and he told me to scrap the old style stock springs and find some springs off a mid 80's K5. Well the older springs are really a poor design compaired to the newer springs. My old ones were sagged out and had some serious signs of excesive axle wrap. The old spring were flush cut and had worn grooves into the leafs above.
    Just so happened that a week after I talked to Dep a set of springs found me. Guy who is Pledging to my club just put a full set of 6 ich sky jackers on his 86 and brought the old stockers to a club swap meet. $50 bucks and we had a deal.
    The new springs are light years ahead. First off the tips of the second and 3rd leaf is wraped just a bit to keep it from damaging the leafs above. They also have friction reducing pads (teflon?). The also have more arch but one less leaf (old were 5 and new are 4). I put them on today and ran in to a problem. since it has one less leaf the old springs were 7/16 inch thicker at the U-Bolts. My U-Bolts had bunged threads and I could not tighten that extra 7/16ths Well Dep had also used the old Overloads with the ends cut off as a 3/4 inch block. I did the same but I didn't have time to run over and get my bud with the band saw to cut them down so I put them on upside down. It worked perfect! Under max flex the first overload still leaves about a 1/4 inch gap at the ends. So when it gets into an axle wrap situation it will help control it. Over all I got right at 2 inches of lift out of the 86 springs and double overload spring over the ratted out 75 stock springs. Finnaly my truck sits level...maybe even a bit tail up.

Right now I think I gained about 40-50 points on the ramp. I now have a problem with my parking brake cables interfering with the springs and I am going to have to drop the brackets. I think that will gain another 30- 40 points. Last year with new front spring I was able to get a 750. I think I'm in the 830-850 range as is now that the fronts have broke in and once I correct the parking brake cables I may be near 900. I'll have access to a ramp in about a week so I will give it a test. Heck maybe this week I'll drive up to 4Wheel parts and ramp it on the same ramp Dep did just for compairson.
    On the street....Caddie ride! I had not even made it to the end of the street and I could tell a major difference i the ride. My lifted 75 rides 10 times better than my bone stock 79. Time to find another set of the wifes 79!

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Do you think 80s rear springs would fit the 1st Gen K5s? I have 2' rancho rear springs and 2" blocks now (nobody makes 4" springs for 69-72) and the springs are stiff. I want to get soft stockers and make my own shackle flip and angle the shocks like Dep did.</font color=blue>

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Cool beans! O.k. another tech tip for ya. Dont drop the parking brake bracket, I would have already torn mine off if I had dropped it. Go to Auto Zone or Advance and get a pair of e brake cables for a 76 Ford Extended cab pick up, they should have the same ends on it except for where it goes into the bracket on the frame, it was a little to small, I found a washer it would lock in and welded the washer onto the stock bracket, they lock in nice and are about 8 to 12 inchs longer, dont have to drop brackets and they work great. You also get rid of those funky clips that hold the cable into the mount on the frame.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

4. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

Can we all see a pic of this? I got a sagging rear end on my truck too.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok I guess I'm off to the parts store yet again! hahaha. I was going to drop the brackets but that was a major concern. I bent the hell out of the front bracket where it goes up to the peddle when Dep dragged me off a rock at Tellico. I got to beat that back in place because I lost tenssion on the cable. I was also looking at taking the backing plates and rotating them 90 deg so I could go over the springs with the cables but I was worried that would play hell with the brakes. Anybody try that trick with any luck?
    Also looking at what it would take to put disks off a Explorer on it. They have a cable operated drum brake for parking and then a seperate caliper. Would just have to redrill the holes to 6 lug. Another option would be to take a set of front rotors and fabricate a caliper bracket. Then use a line lock for short term parking brake. Both disk options would require a proprtioning valve.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/