Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best 52s to use up front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b454rat, Apr 9, 2006.

1. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 89 will be going under some changes soon, sold the ORU kit, trying to sell the 60, putting in the HP60, going to biggers tires, changing the transfer case, and some other stuff that will come up later. Anyways, while I have to make new mounts for the springs, might as will go with 52s, or maybe even 56s. I'm wondering what would be a better spring to get, out of a truck, K-5, sub, er what. And what about aftermarket springs?? I see that Superlift makes a 2" lift 52s for $300 a pair, but we all know how the ride can be with this brand. Anybody got any ideas, input, anything?? Don't want to spend a fortune on springs, cause I really don't have it to spend!!!

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i tryed 52" and swaped to 56. it was easyer to make hangers and get axle moved to the front a bit.

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got bds springs, i love them. when i do my 52 swap upfront it will definitely be with them

4. b454rat

I want to move the axle forward, just not alot, maybe an inch or so. Need to get a set of each, and go from there. Would like to go to 56s, better ride, better flex..

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you only want to move your axle an inch, use stock length springs and drill a couple of new center-pin holes in your perches. Its a lot less work. Half the value of putting longer springs up front is moving your axle forward for better approach angles.... if you don't want that, its prolly not the best "upgrade" for you.

j

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm using 2" TCI's, they're nice and soft.
    Using MO2041 thick 1.5" bushings I got from ORD in the springs, ES2006 1.5" bushing in the frame, 9/16 bolts all around is gonna rock.

I needed to be 2" foward, I'm running 44's.

You could move the front spring mount to the first set of holes.

7. b454rat

Well I can get the springs alot cheaper than a set of lift springs. Right now I only want to move my axle forward an inch, but I haven't even tore the old stuff out yet. Since I dont' have the OBS, can't just move the spring mounts to the first set of holes. :)