Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best 72 3" Body Lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ECNiz, Nov 30, 2000.

1. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

Best 72 3\" Body Lift?

I'm looking to put a body lift on my 72 Blazer. Can anyone
    recommend a good kit? Any issues I should look out for?

Thanks

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Best 72 3\" Body Lift?

The best advice I could give you is to keep saving your money until you can afford a suspension lift. Body lifts create a whole host of problems for you.

The bumpers will be out of alignment with the body.
    You'll have to either relocate the radiator or cut out the bottom of the shroud to clear the fan (and the fan won't be lined up with the radiator any longer.
    The steering shaft will need to be extended and/or the angle of the column will change inside the cab.
    Holes for any floor shifters (like the t-case, for sure) will have to be enlarged so the levers don't hit the floor (and the floor doesn't knock 'em out of gear when the body flexes).
    You'll need to extend the gas filler hose between the filler neck and the tank.
    You'll open 3-inch gaps along each side of the front fenderwells, allowing water to easily splash onto the engine.

I think body lifts cause more trouble than they're worth. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

3. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I don't think body lifts are thaaaaat bad. They are not the best things in the world, but the're cheap, and easy to install. Besides, suspension lifts aren't great for a truck either. But hey,who cares about that. I put one in on my 72. And while I can't stand the look of the bumpers not matching the body, the openings around the motor make it easy as hell to change the spark plugs, tighten my header bolts, and even reach the bell housing bolts when I changed the motor! Just my opinion of coarse. Not tryin' to offend anyone. The stuff that Harry mentioned are concerns, so take a little time to look at each, before grabbing the jack. I will be putting a bodt lift on another 72 next month, so I'll take some pics of the procces. As for what brand, I used performance accessories. Good luck! You can see what my 72 looks like with a 3" body lift in my pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1328774&a=9884284

[​IMG]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wow! 1HIHUM has a beautiful rig! I don't know if I'd want to take that out and beat it on the trails. Looks like you've got a fortune in that thing.

Your sister-in-law's rig looks a lot like the '72 I had many years ago when I lived in Salt Lake. That was my first K5. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com