Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best 8 inch lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fasthumpman, Feb 10, 2006.

1. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

ok i just got paid and am going to go to 4 wheel parts tomarrow and purchase all my stuff. is a 4 inch shackle flip in the rear w/ 4 inch springs the best way to go for a 8 inch lift??? and 8 inch springs in the front???? or should i just go with 8 inch springs all the way around??? are there if any pro's with goin with 8 inch springs all the way around???

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

What are you going to do with the truck? How much money do you have to spend? Do you have a shop that you can do some torching/cutting at yourself or would you have to pay for it?

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Better make sure that you have enough in the budget for driveshafts, steering correction, etc...

4. fasthumpman

i planned on puttin all the new springs, parts, etc... on my car care one card that four wheel parts offer.... no interest for one year so it gives me time to pay it off and use my money for those other things as well. i plan on just mainly muddin in it as i dont like rock crawling to much. i like the way 8 inches look but i want to be able to get the most flex as i can. and i do have a shop to do some cuttin and what not so is my setup what yall would do if yall were me??? i guess im just double checkin myself before i go spend all this money. thanks

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

If you want flex go 4 inch, add a Zero-Rate then take a :hack: to the fenders. I think people here run 40's off that combo. Most the kits above 4-6" use a high spring rate that can limit flex. But I would go 4" with shackle flip in the rear rather than 8" springs. Or maybe Tuff Country 6" EZ-Ride springs and a Zero-Rate. :dunno:

6. fasthumpman

its got a 4 inch lift as of right now but the rear is saggin. if i go with the 4 inch shackle flip what size springs would i want??? for a 4 inch lift of course

7. trailblazr81

If you want a total of 4" lift using a shackle flip you would want stock height springs.

8. fasthumpman

thx trailblazr but you got any idea how much stock springs cost????

9. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I got my stock 52's from *cough* JC Whitney for my front and paid ~$100/spring. Plus the shipping was very reasonable.

Mike

10. fasthumpman

is there any special brand of spring i should be lookin for that gives me more flex over another??? or am i worrying to much

11. trailblazr81

Could just go with a standard stock spring or look into custom made springs to give more flex. Also look at how many leaves there are in the spring pack. More thinner eaves usually mean better flex than a few thick leaves. National Spring is a company that offers stock replacement and custom springs. http://www.nationalspringinc.com/ Also look at listed weight capacity. If you dont plan on much hauling/towing a lower weight capacity spring should flex better than a higher rated "heavy duty" spring.

12. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i guess it all depends on much flex u want.. there are guys on here that want to beable to flex like a slinky over rocks in some buggy contraption and some that are just doing some normal trails and some rocks and mud mixed in.. then others doing all mud... all really depends. Rough country... not much flex.. tuff country or bds for lots of flex.. and super lift and other guys for inbetween i would say?

13. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

What size tire are you planning on? If your mainly doing mud then go ahead and lift it more of you want. Or if you just want to run bigger tires then just get the tires and trim to fit. If you were to go with a 6" lift you might be able to avoid the hassle of driveshafts, and steering correction and what not.

14. trailblazr81

What type of vehicle we talking about here?

15. fasthumpman

its an 80 k5 350/th350/np205 4 inch lift 35" bfg mt's but eventually want to run 37's but even if i got an 8 inch lift ide run those 35's till they were bald just bc ide want to get my money's worth out of em. but after searchin all the forums and from what yall have said i might just do a 4 " shackle flip and new springs all round maybe a inch or 2 body lift and some fender trimming. its mainly mud and gunk i drive through but its nice to know if theres some rocks and big ruts that ill have the capability to do so.

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im happy with my bds 8" all around, but wish i had done 4" + shackle flip in rear.

17. trailblazr81

Replace tha sagging rears, add a Zero-Rate all around and trim the fenders and youll be good for the 37's. :waytogo: I have a 4" lift tho it actually lifted my truck almost 5.5 inches with beefier shackles to keep spring from whacking frame. I plan to just cut away a bit to run the 37's later on.